Bacteria and mucus?

• 3 weeks later...

HI Green Xenon,

Well,Most people do not realize that there are more bacterial cells in and on our bodies than there are human cells. There is a large population of bacteria that exist in all the mucus cavities, most of which are there that are a benefit to the host (you). But you can take these same bacteria and get them into an area where they do not usually belong and

you may then have an infection.Usually if you have a smelly, pus & mucus discharge in the nasal cavities it is coming from one of the nasal sinuses. Sometimes a sinus can be blocked by swelling from a virus or an allergy and the normal mucus flow is backed up allowing the trapped bacteria to multiply and cause an immune reaction of pus cells to converge and try to kill the bacteria.If you are having these kinds of symptoms you should see a doctor - most primary care docs can easily look into your nasal cavity and

identify the problem and prescribe the correct treatment. The last time I had a bout of sinusitis they gave me an antibiotic (to kill the bacteria) and a decongestant (to open the clogged passages). I can't tell from your description what kind of bacteria you are talking about - there are hundreds of kinds of bacteria that we all live with! To identify it would take a complete culture work up from the infected site. It is often difficult to separate the "normal" bacteria from the "infectious" bacteria, but that is what our real job is all about.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

On this topic I was wondering if there were more bacteria, harmful and not harmful, in the mucus as compared to fecal matter. The reason I am wondering is because i cough up some fairly gnarly stuff. Also when blowing my nose I sometimes have similar results.

Thanks

Zack

Edited by zack_33

Here is a little slimy information related to this thread. In the epithelia of the respiratory tract there are a large number of cells that specifically produce mucus called goblet cells because of their appearance in stained microscope sections. These cells line parts of the nose, the trachea, bronchi, and the many bronchioles in the lungs to help generate a primary function of this air conducting system, which is to clean the air. Entering air swirls around and much of the particulate matter in the air sticks in the mucus layer. The other primary cell type in this epithelia are ciliated cells that sweep the mucus up and out of the lungs and down from the nose to be swallowed. When the air is dusty, smokey, or there is an infection this great mucus river is increased to try to flush out the problem.

In the stomach and intestinal tract are many cells, many of which are goblet cells, whose function is to produce mucus, but here it is a lubricant for moving food and provides protection for the epithelial layer. Digestive enzymes and acids could digest the epithelia without some protection. Here the mucus interacts and is a part of an epithelia cell surface coat (glycocalyx) that both protects the cells while promoting transport of digested food (e.g. sugars, amino acids, fatty acids) from the GI lumen into the epithelial cells for use by the body. Below is an illustration of the great mucus river. SM

post-35602-0-81451300-1302451640_thumb.gif

Edited by SMF

Zack. Normally the mucus flow is just swallowed without notice. When the flow is high from disease or a smoker, for example, evolution provided us with the cough reflex. When I have a problem with sticky mucus from a virus or allergies I use an over the counter expectorant (e.g. containing guaifenesin) to make it more liquid and easier for the cilia and coughing to clear it. If you have a lot of problems with this for more than a week or so I suggest talking to a physician. Keep in mind that the process of up-regulating mucus production is a natural response that actually helps with the condition that one might have, it is just annoying. SM