Books to help me ACE Biochemistry class

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a book that will be a good second resource (other than the textbook) for me while I make my way through my first Biochemistry college course.

I'm thinking something along the lines of "Biochemistry for Dummies". I see that there is actually a book called "Biochemistry for Dummies", but I am wondering if that is my best bet, or if there is something even better out there. Something that is a good overview of Biochemistry that will give me an extra advantage for scoring high on the course exams.

I would appreciate ANY insight you can give me. Thank you very much!

-Mandy

Here's a lovely old quote from one of my old posts. The conclusion? Well, either a college level chemistry is a hell of a lot simpler than university level, or else the dummies book is really bad.

Yeah' date=' the chemistry- based dummies books are scarcely better, [than the physics- based dummies books'] with various mistakes. Certainly not in the case of spelling and grammar, but some key notes, structural diagrams, the nature of certain chemical reactions, things that in such a book are of greater importance, are commonly incorrect.

On the other hand [in contrast to the playful, simplified Chemistry for Dummies] Biochemistry for Dummies, which my parents, noting a growing interest, bought for me, is absolutely horrible. It is downright wrong on numerous accounts, and needless to say after trying to muddle through for several weeks I dropped it. It annoys me further because the book claims itself a supplementary text for an introductory college course to biochemistry.

Well here's my scathing criticism of the book in question, however I recommend that given the fact I have never taken a college biochemistry course, nor read a college- level biochemistry textbook, that you do the following, in assessing the book.

You should first see what you will be studying in the course, noting some key details where necessary, as well as the depth in which the respective concepts are analysed. (ie. haemoglobin, in particular, is often studied in a greater depth, than other proteins, as it is used as an example of various structural, functional, and chemical aspects of proteins, ie allosterism, inhibition, response to dpH etc.)

You can then, spend an evening at your local bookstore, simply examining the book itself, and seeing if based on the concepts covered in the course, whether it would be a useful supplement. If you already have a text, compare the content and detail of the two, and see whether there is anything BC for D, has that your text doesn't. You should tread with caution in terms of some structural diagrams, from what I remember: see if the bonding math adds up. I remember finding several amino acids, with unintended positively charged carbons ;)

Hey Theophrastus,

Thanks for the advice. I will not be purchasing the 'Dummies' book.

Thanks for the suggestions on finding a book too. I will keep looking.

The biochem course that I will be taking is a university requirement.

Well, if you find a good 'overall' book, let me know, will ya?

Thanks again!

-Mandy

Hi, I've just completed a biochem degree and I found Stryer to be my favourite textbook. I suggest getting to the library early in the term - like day 2 or 3 - and hiring a copy of each biochem textbook to find the one you like best, then if you decide to buy it you won't be disappointed. Hope this helps:-)