Unix VS Linux.....

albertlee

Now' date=' I know both systems have different kernel....

but [b']why both use same commands?[/b] and can use same shell?

What is the difference? and What is the similarities?

Albert

A long time ago a guy named Richard Stallman decided all software ought to be open source and free. So he started writing a bunch of UNIX utility programs, some new, some clones of old ones.

So you may ask, why write another one? Well, why have more than one of anything?

The reason there are some many similar commands between Linux and UNIX is the same reason there are so many similar commands between Linux and Windows. Think about it, there's rm/delete, cd/cd, ls/dir, etc. There's still such commonality between these systems (which work in starkly contrasting ways) that a number of commands to maintain them are almost identical. Since Linux is meant to be very similar to UNIX, it's even more so in that case, but this applies generally to all operating systems.

There really isn't a huge deal of uniqueness between operating systems, they're almost fundametally all the same.

I don't know about those of you who here use Linux, but Security is of utmost priority.

Just because your Linux distro comes with 4 or 6 or 50 cd's, Do not install all that's given to you. So install what you need or what you're planning to work with and or learn.

1) Installing things that you do not know how to work with, is a potential security hole.

2) Installing too many things will in addition of Item # 1 ^ ^, present you with too many things to worry about. Meaning you probably won't properly secure all that you have. That will mean many more security holes.

3) Might want to consider implementing IP Masquerade, also, might want to download ipchains.

4) Might want to get This Book

Unless you just don't give a damn about what's going on, on your computer. :D

Please excuse my incredulous gentoo pushing, but portage (the package system) will only after a stage3 install have very, very little running in the background (syslog, cron, couple others). If you're paranoid about security, then this is probably ideal for you.

Plus the patched gentoo-kernel rocks - there's about 50 patches adding to functionality and security.

I have tried both FreeBSD and Mandrake on my laptop.............

I feel that Mandrake very easy to install and use, but while, it is less compatible with my laptop hardwares as I must say, individually, although it is easy, it seems buggy and slow .

The disadvantage for FreeBSD, to me, is it is hard to use, but I think it is the most flexible OS I have ever used, I think I would slowly derive from Xp to FreeBSD... :)

Albert