What are the Evolutionary Advantages of Comedy?

I am in a genuine search to understand why human emotion is so important and, in an evolutionary scale, important to survival. In particular, I fail to see why making others laugh would be a valuable trait.

I have searched for a list of human emotions and found an attempt to list emotions on a Buddhist website (to be taken with a pinch of salt). Here are a few examples:

FEAR:

tense

anxious

afraid

nervous

worried

concerned

scared

insecure

HAPPY:

thrilled

elated

pleased

glad

delighted

cheerful

http://www.buddhamind.info/leftside/actives/drama/key-word.htm

From an evolutionary point of view, was there a point to the great comedians of the past and present?

Here's one, below called Ross Noble, who has an amazing ability to think laterally and on-the-spot. I wonder if it is this quality that is more important in a survival sense than comedic output? Comments welcome.

That is a very interesting observation.

Although, if you notice, not every mutation a species undergoes is for the sole purpose of expanding the survivability.

Perhaps it was adapted out of our higher level cognition in order to attract mates? It does make someone seem more trustworthy..thus the mate feels more at ease- offspring is secure and so on.

I'll add more later..

Humour also helps cope with extreme or adverse conditions that are difficult to cope with on a psychological/emotional level eg 'gallows' humour in the midst of battle, which helps to keep up morale amongst soldiers.

If looked at in that way It can be viewed as a coping aid that helps to improve survivability when otherwise one may have given up.

In that sense, I think, there is a positive evolutionary advantage to a species having a sense of humour.

I can think of a few things. It can display social aptitude and intelligence, which are both valued signals in sexual selection. It can help form social bonds (sharing a laugh), and perhaps most importantly diffuse tension, both as a harmless outlet for stress and to charm your way out of a fight without resorting to outright subservience. It's notable that laughter is often the response when a dangerous or stressful situation turns out not to be, and that in general we are far more likely to laugh at the jokes of people we like. Laughter can be used as a form of flattery (laughing with), or to discredit another (laughing at).

So basically, I think humor's role is probably very complicated, and useful from an evolutionary perspective in many different ways.

That's not to say that every aspect of it must have an evolutionary purpose. There are many things that humans do that are basically just side effects of having remarkable brains evolved for other purposes.

Here's one, below called Ross Noble, who has an amazing ability to think laterally and on-the-spot. I wonder if it is this quality that is more important in a survival sense than comedic output? Comments welcome.

In case you didn't know the guy who coined the term lateral thinking is Edward de Bono and he thinks humour is often "lateral thinking".

It’s not that complex if you catalogue humour under - "power and control".

I speculate that basically everything we do is ultimately for personal and tribal power and/or control; over ourselves and our environment. Homo sapiens are spectacular control freaks. That’s one good reason why we excel with science and creativity compared with our fellow life forms.

I know there is at least some scientific psychological/neurological research out there that explores this fascinating area. Any links would be appreciated.

Some links -

Humor Shown To Be Fundamental To Our Success As A Species

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080612150144.htm

Love Me; Love My Jokes

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/02/050212200527.htm

Having Less Power Impairs The Mind And Ability To Get Ahead, Study Shows

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080515113259.htm

Here's the Cliff's Notes version:

People don't generally punch, slice, or kill someone who just made them laugh.

People don't generally kick someone out of their group (ostracize them) if they bring them joy.

People are generally much more willing to share their resources in exchange for a good smile, giggle, or chuckle.