Science VS Nature

admiral_ju00

Which journal do you like best?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which journal do you like best?

• Science
    • Nature

My last thread here warrants this one.

I find myself in a state with mixed feelings about these two journals. Both are excellent and very reputable, but a dual subscription is not likely(least not in my case or not now), even with a student's discount - especially for a long term subscription(probably permanent).

So, I need to subscribe to either one or the other and I need your opinions.

Leaving out the political boundaries(Science - USA / Nature - UK), which journal do you think/ feel / know would provide me with what I need, more so, then the other. (Taking into account that both journals cover these things)

With my field of study(Physical Anthropology), some of the crucial things for me are:

Research/Essays on:

(Evolution/Developments/etc, of )Primates and Hominids

Genetics

Archeology and pretty anything else covered by the umbrella of Anthropology

That is a tough one. They are so similar. I would go with Science though. Nature has now divided up it's load into various spin-offs, Nature Materials, Biotech, etc. Science tends to accept papers from more disciplines than Nature, and they have Editor's choice, which refers the reader to certain going's on in other, more specific, journals. Science tends to have more astronomy and engineering on average and Nature tends to have more geology and biology. But the differences are very slight. They are both really biology-laden. I actually can't comment on any difference in writing quality.

Hmm, now I can't decide. They both make such excellent toilet reading!

Get the shortest possible subscription to Science. This will put you on the Nature mailing list. They'll send you an outrageous deal. When the Science subscription is over, write to them and tell them Nature made a better offer. This will make Science want you back, so they'll offer something better. Also write to Nature telling them Science is giving you a better deal.

Keep this up until you can afford both.

Get the shortest possible subscription to Science. This will put you on the Nature mailing list. They'll send you an outrageous deal. When the Science subscription is over' date=' write to them and tell them Nature made a better offer. This will make Science want you back, so they'll offer something better. Also write to Nature telling them Science is giving you a better deal.

Keep this up until you can afford both.[/quote']

Damn, that's a hell of an idea. :D

Thx.

Nature also periodically has a review board. If you are willing to write opinions on articles for four to six months, you will receive a vastly reduced subscription to Nature itself and portal access to the others online.

Registering at their site is the first step. I was invited to participate in the last one, and enjoyed it. You receive the magazine each week, and then log on to the review site to add your opinion of whatever articles you choose.

As far as I know there are no academic creditials for the general readership reviews, although the editorial peer reviews are, of course, limited.

As I have no academic credentials, it was a wonderful opportunity for me and enabled me to receive Nature at a price I could afford.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I did go with Science(will switch to Nature next year) primarily because their website run faster(imo).

So this will give me what I need(mainly Genetics) and for the field specific journal I'll have to rely on my Uni. as this one is a tad more expensive.

American Journal of Physical Anthropology

Print only * * *$ 1974.-

On line only $ 1715.-

Combined print and on line $ 2146.-

:mad: