Teleportation breakthrough

matter

"Scientists have performed successful teleportation on atoms for the first time, the journal Nature reports.

The feat was achieved by two teams of researchers working independently on the problem in the US and Austria.

The ability to transfer key properties of one particle to another without using any physical link has until now only been achieved with laser light.

Experts say being able to do the same with massive particles like atoms could lead to new superfast computers."

_40279873_teleportation_info416.gif

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well' date=' that's a good thing, if you think about it.

"Whoops, left my arm behind, excuse me a moment!"

Obviously you want to perfect it.[/quote']

Im just not sure that quantum teleportation is the best (or fastest) way to achieve teleportation...

Well' date=' that's a good thing, if you think about it.

"Whoops, left my arm behind, excuse me a moment!"

Obviously you want to perfect it.[/quote']

I`ll dedicate this to Cap,

I teleported home one night,

with Ron and Sid and Meg.

Ron stole Meggys heart away,

and I got Sidneys Leg!

(not quite sure who wrote it originaly, but it wasn`t me)

I`ll dedicate this to Cap' date='

and I got Sidneys Leg!

(not quite sure who wrote it originaly, but it wasn`t me)[/quote']

Douglas Adams, in The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. He also wrote the "Take Me Apart" ditty. Both can be found here

According to the basic law of conversation of matter, matter is never destroyed nor created, only transferred into its mass of energy. Thus, for this to work, the matter would be transformed into energy, by moving faster than the speed of light. (As our good friend Mr. Einstein knows :) )

So, if the matter were to be destroyed, can u figure on what would happen? I have pondered on this and have come to a conclusion. As long as the transferrance of matter is instant there would be no effect (other than the almost impossibility of reconstruction). However, if matter were to switch between times or dimensions, by traveling twice the speed of time, the universe would lose matter.

This would defy the law of conservation. Now, I feel that since the universe is constantly expanding, a change in its size (getting smaller) could be catastrophic. The loss of a single atom may cause surrounding atoms to take the place of that atom, because there is nothing there (creating a vacuum) and this would ultimately cause the universe to move in (even if less than the size of a single atom)

Now here is where I become confused by my own thought. What happens when the Law of conservation of matter and energy is defied and the universe loses matter?

Would it simply continue onward? Growing as usual? Or would it collapse as it continued to shrink?

I know this is a very bizarre concept, and I may be naive but it was only a random thought that popped into my head.

lol

:)

According to the basic law of conversation of matter' date=' matter is never destroyed nor created, only transferred into its mass of energy. Thus, for this to work, the matter would be transformed into energy, by moving faster than the speed of light. (As our good friend Mr. Einstein knows :) )

[/quote']

There is no "conservation of matter" rule. There is conservation of energy, but mass is a form of energy. Matter and antimatter are created all the time. There have been experiments showing CP violations, in which some antimatter has decayed into matter. IIRC the Kaon was the first particle to show this, but it has been shown with another particle (and possibly more).

this is a really good thread, the only thing is that ive already started a similar one, i just renamed it as quantum entanglement,

basically how the scientist achieved to 'teleport' the atom was because they used a method called quantum entalglement, now i am no expert on this, which is why i started a thread on it, but basically:

scientist 'linked' two atoms, not physically, but imagine it, i dont quite understand this part, but somehow the atoms are connected, Einstien studied this and called it "Spooky"

anyway, what happens is that the exact properties of atom 'A' are 'teleported' to 'B', however original atom 'A' is destroyed in the process, thus the atucal atom did not teleport, but the properties of the original atom ['A'] were transffered to another atom, at the cost of atom 'A's life!!!! if you get it

summary:

quantum entaglement, an atom is 'cloned'! so to say, at the expense of it's life, in other words it is destroyed and recreated somewhere else! instantly!

this would be useful in quantum computing, whereby, information could be transported instantly anywhere in the world, it would outstrip broadband, as everything would be instant

again, i dont know much about this method, but as i hope you can guess by what i just wrote, i understand the basics!!

summary:

quantum entaglement' date=' an atom is 'cloned'! so to say, at the expense of it's life, in other words it is destroyed and recreated somewhere else! instantly!

this would be useful in quantum computing, whereby, information could be transported instantly anywhere in the world, it would outstrip broadband, as everything would be instant

[/quote']

Okay, let's clear up a few things here:

The "quantum entanglement" was used to bypass The Heisenberg Uncertainty principle, which basically says that you can't know where an object is at and the object's speed at the same time.

And, also from that I understand about quantum entanglement, (in this experiment) one photon was "entangled" with another to get a proper fix on it before the original photon was teleported to somewhere else.

Also, I'm not the biggest science buff here, but from what I understand, an object's properties are analyzed, and then the object is then recreated somewhere else. Then, because we don't want to have to worry about the exact same thing being in two separate places at once, we simply blow up the first object with an explosion or something (note: no matter is destroyed or created; existing matter is used to construct the new object, and the matter held in the matter in the old object is simply released to go about its business. Atoms and molecules are just separated from each other).

The matter itself is not really transferred; it's just the "properties" of the matter.

-Ian

unfortuantely i do not know the answers to 'TheMadHatter0' & 'amoda'

i understand how this theory works, not how or why!

if someone else knows, can you answer them please!?!

[amoda -- u stole my picture!!!!!!]

Onto the original topic of THIS teleportation, what did they teleport? The actual atoms, or electrons, or... what? And if it was the atom as a whole, would it be possible to teleport electrons, as well? I ask this because, while we're talking about tiny bits of teleportation, even for things in a small scale, going smaller can be pretty darn hard.

But if we could teleport electrons themselves...would it not be possible to teleport everything that an electron can represent? Whether it be electricity- moving electrons = electricity, so if a power station creates moving electrons and teleports them away to where they're needed, then gets them back when they're done being used, it takes away all of the resistance between the station and the required place. No more requirements for transformers, and producing 220 watts is probably a whole lot easier than all of the power going through the wires, so you could have one power station powering a state, or even a country (yes, there are problems with that as well, but still, just the possibility is amazing).

This is, of course, just something that I've thrown together with just the basics of thought, so it's probably all wrong.

Guys: Take a look at the picture that is presented in post nr 1. I'll bet u all could figure it out then! Acording to it it's just the state that was teleported! Altough the idea that it should be the atom itself is more intruiging, which i aslo oposed in another thread(but with this pic that idea falls)!

I'll simplifie it ROUGH:

Give A the info while B and C is holding hands.

Let A grap B:s hand while still holding C with the other (all have the same state then).

Then C let's Go of B:s hand and C has A:s state without holding A:s hand ;)

Remember it's rough :)

Guest jasongnome
I`ll dedicate this to Cap' date='

and I got Sidneys Leg!

(not quite sure who wrote it originaly, but it wasn`t me)[/quote']

Douglas Adams. :)

Jason

they dont actually move anything, or teleport it!

they just kinda transfer the data of what it is...

like in computers copying the code without actually copying the *.exe file... if that makes sense to you!

no actual physical susbtance is teleported, like i said earlier, i know what and a bit how, but not why this works!

its just teleporting the details to another place!

Teleporting the details to another place is the same as teleporting.

If you teleport the details of a piece of paper that has a date and time on it to another place, that paper, though not truly THE paper, is now in a new place. In theory, it's readable, too :P

• 3 weeks later...
Teleporting the details to another place is the same as teleporting.

If you teleport the details of a piece of paper that has a date and time on it to another place' date=' that paper, though not truly THE paper, is now in a new place. In theory, it's readable, too :P[/quote']

yes, to someone basic, no offense!

but techincally it is not the same at all!

although yes, it does come out with the same result, just using a different method!

Yes, instead of teleporting THE original one, they clone it, to another place, making a copy, but as matter can neither be made, nor destroyed, THE original is destroyed, therefore, we end up with a copy, NOT THE original, so whilst it is an identical copy, it is not THE same one!

you cant tell the difference, no, but that doesnt mean there isnt a difference, as you, sayonara, should be able to tell from your clone thread, i think its your anyway, and the other clone threads as well.

its more the people who have to carry out and analyse the method, who worry about those kinda details, not people, im guessing like you, nor me infact! im just saying, that it is there! [the difference],

although, to an onlooker of the experiment, the difference is not noticeable