just a thought...

T-Mac

Imagine if traveling faster than the speed of light would be possible. Then it would be quite awesome to take an extremely powerful telescope, travel into the space faster than the light does, and look back on earth with that telescope. Then we should see everything there was in the past, depending on how fast we were travelling, and how far. Wouldn´t it be cool, to see the dinosaurs, witness the dawn of man and watch the birth of the first civilizations...

Essentially, telescopes sort of do that. We can't look on the past of the Earth specifically, but we can look back on the past of the whole fricken' universe.

I don't think it'd be too absurd to imagine seeing a reflection from our own past somewhere in space as well.

If big IF
Not a massive if. FTL travel is still a serious research point.

Although your idea about seeing into the past is correct I doubt the telescope would have the resolution to see an image of a dinosaur or watch life unfold like a movie.
I guess the most that we could hope to learn would be about our climate/volcanic activity.

Would it be possible to entangle and capture two photons, somehow integrate them into separate telecommunications devices i.e cameras, and exploit their ability to communicate across vast distances instantaneously?

Is it practically possible now to manipulate a property in one of them so that it caused a change in the other x distance away...say it's spin ( or some other property) in one direction could equal 0 and the spin in the other could equal 1 to create a digital signal.

I have a hazy memory that scientists were speculating to do something like this somewhere some years ago but the temperatures required were prohibitively low to be practical.

This would give FLT communication would it not?.

I.A.: So what you are saying is that you can't induce a change in one photon to change the state of the other one some distance away.

As an approximate, simple, example of what I mean, think of a morse coder...induce 3 down spins, then 3 up spins and then 3 down spins (to represent an S.O.S signal) in one photon, this would induce the opposite in the other entangled photon would it not?

My knowledge of physics is rudimentary -I would be happy for you to enlighten me as to why this would not be information transfer or have I just got it totally wrong altogether?

Imagine if traveling faster than the speed of light would be possible. Then it would be quite awesome to take an extremely powerful telescope, travel into the space faster than the light does, and look back on earth with that telescope. Then we should see everything there was in the past, depending on how fast we were travelling, and how far. Wouldn´t it be cool, to see the dinosaurs, witness the dawn of man and watch the birth of the first civilizations...

That is a freakin awesome idea.

the tree is correct about resolution, but just knowing the possibility is great food for thought.

entanglement doesn't give FTL communication as there is no information transfer.

Not by itself, but manipulating one in a specific pattern does create information transfer in the other, and vice versa.

Following on from the original post, isn't it amazing to think that everything that has ever happened in the universe has been recorded via the interference patterns in the photons that are now on their fantastically long journey through space...like one giant 13.7 billion year long 3D video?!

if watching our past is theoretically (yes, it`s impossible, in know, but still, it`s a theory) possible, would it somehow be possible to watch our future too? i mean like the same kinda "impossible-but still cool to think" way.