books to read

Guest Evil Giraffe

Guest Evil Giraffe

Hello, all,

I am a new member and this is my first post. I am a 33 year old male who is from California (basically--father was military so we moved a lot) but I am now living in Japan. As my job teaching English to high school and junior high school students leaves a lot to be desired in terms of the mental work I have to do, I have begun to turn, yet again, back to books as a source to exercise my brain.

Anyway, I won't bore you with all those details. My basic question is this--what are some good books to read in the areas of science? Or even history if you know any?

I love reading about evolution or human evolution, astronomy, etc...But keep in mind that I am an Engish major and am thus somewhat limited in my ability to understand things if they get too technical for me. Of course, I would welcome the challenge as that is the only way in which we learn.

Ok, sorry to rattle on like that. Just really want some suggestions for good reading material from people who might know what is good.

Three excellent introductions to the field of science are:

1) Almost Everyone's Guide To Science by John Gribbin

2) A Short History Of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson - for a travel writer/humourist he does a remarkable job of covering the basics between "the Big Bang and the rise of civilisation"

3) Science: a history 1543-2001 also by John Gribbin

The Blind Watchmaker for neo-Darwinism (also by Richard Dawkins) and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams for scientific humor at it's absolute best (all work and no play makes for a dull Evil Giraffe).

I recommend this all the time because it is one of my most favourite books (and since nobody else seems to quote any good mathematical books ;)). Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh; essential reading. He also wrote the Code Book which outlines various cryptographical techniques throughout the ages (nice historical context as well).