What is it?

Abchirk

hey guys, may you're interested in such thread...

I'll start and who gives the right answer has to ask next question!

allowed are all chemical compounds which have been confirmed.

here is a simple one:

it consists of an element in the 6 main group and two other elements, you shouldn't drink that, also it is very often used in syntheses. One of the other elements is very light and the second other element is necessary in combustions

:)

?

Edited by Abchirk

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah right! But you should give the next compound... ;)

nevermind here is the next and who guess this right has to give the next... :)

H2SO4:

image.php?u=988&dateline=1218559522

----------

You can find this quite weak acid in very small animals which have a big own state with a queen... they are known as to work in a group and they can carry a multiple of their own weight. So which acid is it!? :D

oh ya..... I tried to choose a simple one, but maybe that was the mistake, I know that there were more then one possible answer... :)

anyways formic acid is correct! :)

Sorry alien, I was very tired when I posted this...

next one, this element sounds like it steals the letter L

but I really don't know. :rolleyes:

Everybody pull out your UK to English dictionaries.......:P

I think you have got that the wrong way round. What you need is an English to American dictionary.

(or were you just trying to piss off the Welsh?)

Edited by John Cuthber

Gallium right? As Paris, France is the city of lights, and Gallium is named after the old word for France: Gaul.

You are thinking along the right track but no that isn't it. The element was named after the city not the country. Nice try though.

I am going to guess either n-propanol or isopropanol. Being that you are using alcohol to mean the ethanol and that propanol is slightly heavier and is flammable at room temperature.

If insane_alien says this is right I will post a new question.

Edited by DJBruce
uncapitalizing insane_alien's name

it is called disilanol. and yes, it is the silicon analogue of alcohol. it combusts on exposure to air which is why i said you'd get burned if you tried to drink it. i was going to say you'd end up with a mouth full of glass but i though people might think it was the container that caused that.

your question maestro?

And lo, having finally attained computer access, Theo prepares to piss off the general populace, with this next question! Enjoy >:D So, here goes :cool:

The following class of compounds, contain nitrogen, carbon and hydrogen.They have a ring structure and are ligands, primarilly forming complexes with 2+ and 3+ metal ions. When bound to calcium, they form pigments, that are bright purple in colouration, and utilised by some molluscs. In the human body, a particular type of this compound is found in cells, suspended in a fluid, found within the "air holder," only bound to protein chains. (hint: In reading this post, you are likely looking at it(Theo motions to the upper right hand corner :D))

(Theo's dirty double trick >:D)

Take the compound you have just found, and make it as simple as possible (all R groups = H) count the number of double bonds, present. (ps: no funny business like exploiting double bonds to halogenate the molecule in question :P) Take the number you have attained, and add nine. This the atomic number, of a corresponding element.

(Even more you say ;))

Now calculate the energy (KJ mol^-1) required to transport this element's ion across a cell membrane, (uniport system only) at 309.6K (36.6 degrees celsius- standard physiological temperature), given an internal ion concentration, 10 times greater than the external ion concentration.

Now take the number you have just attained, and round it to the nearest whole number. Now add this number, to the atomic number of the ion gradient from before. The resultant number, is the atomic number of the element to which I refer.

Solve it! Solve it if you can!!! *insert evil laugh here*

Muahahahahahahahaha! >:D

Your avatar is hemoglobin. The first answer is porphyrins.

Porphin has 11 double bonds.

Element 20 is calcium, an appropriate choice for a membrane transport question.

Using this page (http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/M/MembraneTransport.html), [math] deltaG=2*(309.6)*ln(10/1) [/math]

So, ΔG=1425.76cal/mol = 5965.38J/mol = 5.97kJ/mol -> 6

So, element 26, which is Iron.

Edited by UC

yup. :) Your turn UC!

ps: Oh yeah, and in terms of air holder, I was refering to the latin/ greek (can't quite remember which) derivation, of the word artery. Red blood cells are suspended in the blood, and the oxygen- carrying protein in them, haemoglobin, has four haem groups, which are essentially porphyrin derivatives.