Autoimmune Diseases

MolecularMan14

Recently, I've been very interested in autoimmune diseases.

I don't pretend to be an expert in autoimmune diseases, but I would like to know more of them. Currently I understand that what the bacteria does is prompt the body's immune system to attack itself.

I have my own theory, but I can't compare it to convention science's theory, mainly because I don't know what conventional science's theory on autoimmune diseases is.

If anyone knows much about autoimmune diseases, I would greatly appreciate the knowledge. I intend to do much work on multiple sclerosis this summer, but I need to do some research in terms of autoimmune diseases in general.

Based upon my both my father's and my theories, we should be able to effectively treat MS.

We have both worked with our friend Dr. L.i.d.a Mattman and they are both experienced experts in the field of microbiology. But for my own good, my father has made me do my own research, in order to diversify the views and make develop some more theories.

Once again, if anyone has any knowledge upon advanced autoimmune diseases and how they function, I would love to share your knowledge.

Thanks,

Alex

thanks, my search has lead me through many diseases, and my goal is not only to cure MS but to unravel all autoimmune diseases. I grow closer to my goal by the day, but I fear that my labs aren't enough to continue my advanced research.

Ive tried to apply for a govt grant but no one takes a 14 year old seriously. lol

Oh well, Ill keep at it.

Thanks for the advice,

Alex

Uhm, your labs? Gov't grant? What research? You grow closer to the goal by the day??

I'm not trying to make you doubt your own ideas, knowledge, etc, but You have set some clearly ambitious and impossible goals for yourself. Unless you have a Ph. D at 14, and a research staff equally qualified and experienced that you haven't told us..........

Well good for you. Do not allow anyone to tell you that you cannot add to the research in this, or any other, area. Age and formal education are no longer barriers to acquiring or diseminating knowledge.

Here are some links you might find helpful:

American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association

http://www.aarda.org/patient_information.php

National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/final/immds/immdeff.htm

Life Extension abstract

http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-017.shtml

Well, dont worry yourself about my prerequisites. I do understand your concern but I havnt yet found a college that will accept any 14 year old.

As for my facilities, they are not mine, they are my father's.

Much of the credit will be given to my father not only for his credentials, and his labs, but also for his expertise and efforts. I only want just enough credit to catch the attention of a few colleges or at least medical organizations.

Thanks,

Alex

Have you looked into Simon's Rock College in Great Barrington, MA? It is an affiliate of Bard College, and was created just for younger people who need or wish to bypass high school and feed their brains. My younger daughter went there and it was an extremely good experience for her.

Thank you all very much,

I appreciate your support. Im always trying to learn new things and this is a big project for everyone (including L.i.d.a Mattman- I put the periods becuase there's an auto-correcting program that runs and it doesn't recognize L.i.d.a as a name- so it just replaces it with Linda)

Anyway thanks,

I will definitely look into this college and try to get a better understanding of not only my present standing, but also my future goals.

When we make another breakthrough I'll alert you :)

Thanks,

Alex

• 4 months later...

Well, if you really want to get started, the best thing for you to do is read the literature. Especially if you are interested in biological sciences, become very familiar with using pubmed. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

This is a government sponsored database. It contains all the most relevant information. In addition to pubmed, you'll need some sort of institutional access to the articles in pubmed. No problem if you're at a university. I'm not sure of your father's position, but you could find links and have him grab the articles. For instance, heres a nice review of betaseron

CNS Drugs. 2004;18(8):521-46.

Pubmed link http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15182221

When I start research in a new area, start with reviews, they are more basic and general. Grab a few reviews, and while you're reading them, note references in them to narrow your interests.

From reading a couple abstracts it seems betaseron is an interesting drug. It's often used for M.S. but it's exact mechanism of action is unknown. Seems to be a non-specific inhibitor of aspects of immune processes.

Keep up your work. Unfortunately, like someone else said, you won't be able to receive any grants or funding as they usually have a section where you have to demonstrate that you the capabilities to fulfill the objectives in the grant (e.g. technicians and a complete lab). Keep at it though and good luck!

thanks guys! It does seem to be interesting tho. b/c they know that it works sympomatically, but no one seems to know what else it does. Now that I know the cause of MS, i can more accurately see its functions, and metabolic habits.

Im taking the next 9 months or so to grow some full cultures.

yea, i didnt count on any govt grants. Fortunately, my dad's got some connections, and this weekend, we'll be getting some electron micrograms on the cause, and should get a better anaysis.

book research is a cruel mistress isnt it. So much more fun to be working in the lab. :)

My dad's connections just enlightened me. what about a phage??! would that work against a cell wall deficient organism?! would it be feasable to develop a phage targeting the most common atribute of the organism? (I would of course have to do some serious testing after a full cutlure to find a unique chemical feature) but could it work?

does anyone not know what a phage is? Its basically a virus parasitic in bacteria; it uses the bacteria's machinery and energy to produce more phage until the bacteria is destroyed and phage is released to invade surrounding bacteria. It feeds and destroys the bacteria, selectively.

well, most people continue to believe that a virus is to blame. However, that's not true. Blaming a virusis basically just a default for not knowing what causes it. It's actually a bacteria. I know that it sounds farfetched, but please, trust me, it's a bacteria, not a virus. That is what would be attacked by such a virus.

• 3 weeks later...

i am very happy that there is another person my age that is as ambitious as you. you are the only other 14 year old person that i can relate to.

i dont think that a phage could be used to target autoimmune bacteria. i havent done any extensive lab research like you, because i dont have the facilities, but in my experience i have seen that things like bacterial phages and stem cells are very difficult to control. once the phage is in the body, how would a doctor control how it targets the autoimmune bacteria. there are good bacteria in the body that are needed for proper cell metabolism and proper body maintenace. there would be detrimental effects if the phages targeted these bacterial cells. my question to you is how would the phage be controlled once it is inside the body?

i hope this helps you.....and i repeat what i said about ambition....i hope the lab tests and electron micrograms work out....maybe they will hold the key to what you need.

What I had thought was making this phage specifically for the bacteria we've found (which we've named, but we're not yet disclosing). If the phage were to detect some unique characteristic of this bacteria, it would immediately become active, and take action, just as a virus would. But, unless that unique characteristic is detected, the phage would remain innert, and eventually die...which is not really any good for profit on our end, because each patient would only have to have 1 ever, while with antibiotics, they would have to be treated again and again...but we're not in this for the $$...for the good of mankind.

Yes, it is good to find someone to indentify with. I hope where ever science takes you, you have the ability to stretch to your full potential. :) Good luck in all of your projects!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

to molecularman14 have u seen the web site The Phage Therapy Center, also if rheumatoid arthritis is caused by proteus and crohns by ecoli and ankylosing spondylitis by klebsiella by administrating the right phages to that specific bacteria a redding the immune system of that bacteria the immune system won't need to create those antibodies, i have read articles about people that have put there RA into remission with antibiotics, also antibiotics is given to people with crohns/colitis , u can email me at lupo.joe@gmail.com i would like to hear from u