Does Universe expand?

NiVekeN

Are universe expand all the time? This is a question i have been looking an answer to for many months. Maybe you guys here can help me?=)

And IF the universe is expanding, how can it do that? And what does it expand in? A greater space?

What the universe is expanding into is unknowable. For all we know it is expanding into a sea of green with yellow submarines. :)

That's not true. It it isn't expanding into anything. The expansion is an increase of distances, but not a movement into new areas (or any other kind of movement).

That's not true. It it isn't expanding into anything. The expansion is an increase of distances, but not a movement into new areas (or any other kind of movement).

How can you be so sure it is not expanding into anything, or into new areas, when we know nothing about the region beyond the edge of the visible universe?

How can you be so sure it is not expanding into anything, or into new areas, when we know nothing about the region beyond the edge of the visible universe?

Because,

The expansion is an increase of distances, but not a movement into new areas (or any other kind of movement[/b']).

It is an expansion of space, not objects moving apart within space. Look into the link Klaynos posted.

Yes into an anomoly called ( The cylindar ) like your cars engin for it is empty waiting to be filled from the last Big Crunch.. Our universe is multiplying into that void.

Trillion years from now our universe will recycle itself again and takeing everything that was to form a new universe. Big Bangs will never end.:eyebrow:

Yes into an anomoly called ( The cylindar ) like your cars engin for it is empty waiting to be filled from the last Big Crunch.. Our universe is multiplying into that void.

Trillion years from now our universe will recycle itself again and takeing everything that was to form a new universe. Big Bangs will never end.:eyebrow:

No, there is no "void."

There is no void, because "nature abhors a vacuum". :D

Lots of evidence for things, but no evidence for nothing.

However, just to be difficult, there is no way to detect space expanding, only the markers (e.g. galaxy clusters, CMB) are moving apart.

Edited by Airbrush

There is no void, because "nature abhors a vacuum". :D

Lots of evidence for things, but no evidence for nothing.

However, just to be difficult, there is no way to detect space expanding, only the markers (e.g. galaxy clusters, CMB) are moving appart.

But "things getting farther apart" is what is meant by "space expanding." Still, though, "moving" is not an appropriate word.

I would hate to see our universe collide with another universe. Astronomers say that there are many universes out there and never touch that we can not see and they call that ( Multiverses or Multiple Universes ) like bubbles in a bath tub.

Will our universe blend in with another universe ?. Well before that happens our universe will run out of the big bang expantion and fall back into its self like any other Star into a black hole and crushing us with it into a universe ( Recycled ). And into a singularity once more.

I think that Big Bangs always happen every thrillion years. Thats called ( Recycleing of the original matter.

I also think that our universe is one dot of light in a galaxie example like our solar system in our milky way, just one speck of light flowing in a river.

I think there may be some confusion between a galaxy and a universe. The Universe is everything that physically exists. There may be multiple universes in quantum theory but they cannot collide; when the term is used in the scene it refers to theoretical constructs each with different laws of physics. A galaxy on the other had is a gravitationally bound blob of stars, planets, interstellar gas etc floating along in the universe.

Tolmosoff; galaxies are like bubbles in a bath not universes. Galaxy collisions are in fact fairly common as galaxies exert massive gravitational pulls on each other. Round galaxies (forgot the proper name it may be disc galaxies or some such) are, for example, believed to be formed from the merger of multiple spiral galaxies. edit: also note that our galaxy , The Milky Way is currently merging with(or cannibalizing) two other galaxies, Sagittarius Dwarf Elliptical Galaxy and Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy.

The universes is not expanding into an unknown medium as airbrush said as by definition there is nothing outside of the universe. Nor is it expanding into some vast void agene the is no void or empty space or anything outside of the universe it is simply expanding into space that previously did not exist.

Edited by bob000555

There is a big difference between a universe and a gallaxi.

What i ment was that our universe with billions of gallaxies is but one speck of light in the arms of a rotating gallaxi or all seen star stuff is but a point of light in a very large river with billions of universes filled with billions of galaxies.

I'm just visualizing our whole universe with everything in it can be just a point of light.

There can be countless universes counting our universe as just ( One Universe ).

Again the universe is defined as everything that physically exists, so to talk about the universe being a point in anything or being contained in anything is meaningless.

The idea of alternate dimensions of existence is something very different then a universe being contained in something else…

What I am trying to say and looking in a diffent perspective is that our 13 Billion year old Big Bang can be just a point of old Light in a river just flowing with other countless 13 billion year old singularities.

I think that there is no end out there we'll never see.

I as you, can our 13 Billion year old universe system with everything in it be just ( ONE ? ). We may be thinking small in a locale universe.

I think there is more than we can count and maybe how many more 13 Billion year old expantion are out there not counting our big bang.

You're really not making any sense. Again the universe is defined as everything that exists in three dimensional space. By definition there cannot be more then one universe in space. Are you talking about an oscillating universe that forms via a big bang, recollapseses and reforms with a new set of laws of physics?

If that's what your talking about; as has been previously stated the rate at which the universe is expanding is accelerating. It is therefore unlikely that gravity will overcome dark energy and cause the universe to collapse into a new singularity. It is more likely that dark energy(the energy causing the universe to expand) will overcome gravity, then the electromagnetic force, then the week nuclear force then the strong nuclear force eventually ripping matter itself apart.

Yes I can say that your correct on that. I believe that all matter collapses Astro biologists call The Big crunch or used up gravity takeing all matter and then recycles that same matter with a new law of physics.

Still i believe that our 13 Billion year old universe is not alone.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Or beyone our 13 Billion year old universe is another demention we never thought about ?.

So I ask you is our universe of 13 billion years old and way beyond past ours in a new different time demention zone is another larger scale that what we see in 13 billion as only one universe ?.

I think there is more like saying ( Are we Alone ?.) in our local universe.

The second paragraph of my last post is and argument AGAINST the big squeeze not for it.

I will try to state this as simply as possible: all that exists in three dimensional space is part of this universe, you cannot have another universe sharing the same three dimensional space as us.

AH !!! there are others that argue and call that anomoly ( The Big Crunch ) and made big news.:doh: They make sence to me.

Then for I see thier model as an empty piston cylinder in my cars engine and the space in my motor cylinder is all the universe I call a universe and the piston the driveing force with gravity momenum causes the Big Bang after all gas and eliment matter is drawn to top dead center causeing heat into a tiny space before the big bang.

After ignition of big bang from preasure and atomic heat then you have exhaust stroke.

We are the result in creation matter from pollution of carbon matter that forms stars.

I'm just useing my engine as an example of our universe.

Astro physicists claim that our universe will head back into a big crunch after all matter in our universe is used up in its death throws. Just like a star that falls back into its self to be reborn into a new star from its own matter. Happens all the time.

Tell me, how is a new star system born and where those it get its fue:eyebrow:l ???.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Sooooo !!! Now I believe thier theory. Man !!! what can I do about that so you try to influence me. And maybe you can earn my trust.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Also the cubic inches in my cylinder is only one cylinder , but my car has Eight pistons in serarate zones.:eek:

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

There by nature an end to everything and that includes our 13 billion year old universe comes to its end but not to worry our universe will recycle its self in a trillion years and become a new universe without the human specie.

According to the Big Crunch believers.>:D

But "things getting farther apart" is what is meant by "space expanding." Still, though, "moving" is not an appropriate word.

Thanks for the correct terminology. Everything has Big Bang inertia, so what we see is a combination of the original inertia of everything, which implies motion thru space, plus the expansion of space, or cosmological constant, dark energy. Right?

Bigbangers try to prove the Big Bang hypothesis on the LHC collider, but thus they will not prove it, but can make a big bang of Earth. CERN physicists do not know what magnetic hole is.

PS:

Black holes are objects, whose gravity field energy, outside of Schwarzschild radius, is equal to the rest energy, mc^2, the energy of mass m, concentrated on the Schwarzschild sphere.

Magnetic holes are objects, whose magnetic field energy, outside of critical magnetic radius is equal to the rest energy, mc^2, of mass m, concentrated inside the critical magnetic radius.

Magnetic holes were invented by alternative-physicists, as a result, this theory will not be accepted by orthodox-physicists, as a result, microscopic magnetic holes will be created soon (may be in November 2009)… Fasten your belts…

PS 2:

In my Steady State Model of Universe there are several values: 73.3 km/s/Mpc, 13.3 bln.years/rot. The last number means: the time spend by light in order to go around the whole closed Universe. In Big Bang model this time means the age of Universe. In our model, it is the time of one 4d-rotation of the eternal Universe. In our model the Universe has not the center in space and has no center in time.

http://darkenergy.narod.ru/

What do you mean by Big Bang inertia?

Do you believe in the Big Bang? Correct me if I am wrong but it seems to me at the time of the Big Bang all matter began relative motion apart from a state of very high density. After that everything was coasting with its' original momentum which was enough to overcome the universes combined gravity. At first it may have slowed relative motion, because of gravity, but then dark energy overcame that and then expansion of space increased.

In addition to that original inertia of all matter, space also expands adding to the relative motion speed apart. Or how would you describe it?

Edited by Airbrush