The Importance of Science

zaindapain

Although all the reasons the author sites are very valid and many scientists are driven by the goal to create an easier life personally I find the importance of science to be in simply explaining the world we live in. To me the it is more important to understand why things happen compared to classifying materials and applying the science to everyday life.

Hey, Bruce

i see what you mean man. Without classifying our life would be useless.

But then again, the controversy between religion and science is ongoing.

That is another topic to consider.

In order to classify something you must first understand the principles behind it and those underlying principles are important things. When I previously stated that I want to know why things happen I did not mean that I wanted a religious answer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi zaindapain,

Well,Is Science important? The answer lies right in front of our eyes. Think about a world without technology. No computers, no cars. No vaccines or cures for diseases. Life would be joyless and extremely hard. It was not long ago that this was the case. How ever, now with science on our side it’s a whole new story.

The scientific information we studied in Unit 1 – “Setting the Standards” is important to everyone. We have learned about identifying Substances using properties, Safety around us (WHMIS) and Physical and Chemical changes. Scientific research has helped us establish many different physical and chemical properties. Appearance, Texture, Colour, Solubility, Combustibility and taste are just a few to name.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Science is the best method we have for understanding how things work in the observable universe. Science if fallible but science knows it's fallible. Science keeps the good and throws away the bad; all knowledge is tentative. Science does not explain everything but to reiterate it is the best explaination of nature we have.

Thanks,

Jamie Hale

Hi zaindapain,

Well,Is Science important? The answer lies right in front of our eyes. Think about a world without technology. No computers, no cars. No vaccines or cures for diseases. Life would be joyless and extremely hard....

Actually, you might be wrong there. It's been shown (according to hearsay, admittedly, but hearsay from qualified psychology instructors) that the experience of joy and sadness are relative. That is to say that the highest heights of joy can only truly be experienced and/or appreciated by those who have experienced the deepest depths of misery and pain. Without suffering there is no true joy. this is why many young people in rich neighborhoods tend to experience a joyless, unenriched, listless sort of life, until they do something crazy like go and volunteer in a third world country or even just get a job.

Perhaps a world without technology, then would allow humans to experience joy more fully, and appreciate it in a deeper manner.

Perhaps again, despair and emotional pain are always available to us in large enough quantities for us to experience joy properly, despite technology making some things easier for us.

Either way, I wouldn't turn back the clock. I love science, I love knowledge and any suggestion we should abandon it for what we used to have seems absurd to me. However, perhaps we could spend a little more time working on how to use science and technology in a better, more friendly way.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.