The reasons for jet lag.

dstebbins

Why is it that we always feel groggy after we take a flight to another time zone, most commonly known as "jet lag?" I mean, if I'm in Los Angelas, and I take a four-hour flight to the Bahamas, which is four time zones ahead of LA, then the time should only increase by eight hours, meaning if my plane takes off at 9am, it should only be 5pm.

So, why is that, despite the fact that I'm spending 8 hours playing my DS and text messaging on my phone, I still feel as tired and groggy as if I had spent 8 hours in a factory?

EDIT: Btw, I've never been on a plane before in my life, so if I'm confused about something I wouldn't be if I had ever flown before, forgive me.

I flew from Los Angles to Isreal took 11 hours. Also from Los Angles tp Russia and never felt jet Lag. The only thing i felt was the tight seating in the Jumbo Jet. I mostly sleep on the way. Nope !!! and heck I still don't know how jet Lag feels.

It's basically because your body 'feels' the time of your original time zone, meaning you wind up either getting to sleep later or being sleepy very early. Sleeping on the plane would help, but isn't always possible due to cramped seating.

• 4 weeks later...
It's basically because your body 'feels' the time of your original time zone, meaning you wind up either getting to sleep later or being sleepy very early. Sleeping on the plane would help, but isn't always possible due to cramped seating.

I find it a lot easier flying West a few time zones. Adjusting is like staying up late but getting to sleep in. Coming back East is a much tougher adjustment.