Constant Time

Physman

you know i would just like to add, that the probabilities that gave rise to quantum mechanics and all of its family including the argument here, that theoreticly there could be a universe just like ours where everything moves and acts just the same, yet there is no Time.

i understand that, but isnt it possible to have motion without time?

i would think that it would be somewhat like video. where we have 40 frames a second to make it appear that it is in motion, yet it is simply comprised of stills.

of course it would be motion in the same sense of the word that is applicable in our universe.

40 frames a second. sounds an awful lot like you need a time component for the motion.

i'm going to give you an example of why motion without time is somewhat absurd.

lets take a door. there are two many people who want to use this door.

now, in a universe with time, this is an easy situation to resolve, they all take a turn at going through the door at different times.

now, in a universe without time they do not have to option of going through at different times so they'd all collide at the door(before the door depending on how many there are.

the usual way people claiming there is no time get round this, is claiming that there is 'something' that behaves exactly like time in every description but they insist it isn't called time. which is equally absurd.

so. the existance and function of doors(also chairs, tv's, cars, roads, tunnels, locks, keys etc.) pretty much proves that there is a physical phenomenon known as time.

i think you are forgetting that even in our universe or dimension there can be a particle that exist in two places at once, and that a particle can inhabit the smae space as another particle.

if you take this concept and apply it to your door example then you could have your people pass throught the door without there being a need to have or use time.

you could still have motion based on the above principle were a particle can exist in two places at once i think it would work something like this

A= particle

---= space

----(A)-------(A)----------------

---------------(A)----------------

----------------(A)------(A)------

if this doesnt dissuade you from accepting the possiblility of there being a dimension without time then atlest look at the concept from an objective and scientific stand point. And realize that the possiblity of there being a dimension that is parrallel to ours but does not have time.

yes you can have some particles that can exist in the same place at once, but not all particles. most importantly, the particles we are made of.

also, when atoms get close enough to each other, they fuse. so everytime someone walks through a doorway that has already been used, KABOOM. although as there is no time, they would be thrown back by the explosion before they got close resulting in them never getting there in the first place ultimately leading to a paradox and internal inconsistency with the theory that there is no time.

so, either you cannot walk through doors or there are more paradoxes than lost socks.

so again you come back to the same conclusion, time is necessary. you either need it or something indistinguishable from it (in other words, you need time or time).