Hacking...

Crash

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he was in jail for hacking into the computer network at his school, I don't think they'd give him access to another computer to make a post instead of a phone call...

But seriously, what were you thinking when you did that Crash?

all i did was install a keylogger, disabled the antivirus software adn created a batch file to load it onto everycomputer every time new ones start up, set up an ftp to route all the info to my email everytime they go online.... and made the files hidden and deleted all the stuuf off my comp to hide me tracks, but they had everything logged on a linux server.
This is how they might see it:

1) Installed a keylogger which could be used to steal passwords or confidential information

2) Disabled the antivirus system, leaving the computers vulnerable to attack by viruses that for all they knew you might have been trying to install

3) Did that for potentially every computer in the school

4) Funneled user information to your personal email address when people used the computers

5) Covered up your tracks to avoid detection, suggesting that you knew what you were doing was wrong

This would place you in control of a LOT of information. What were you trying to do wheh you did all that anyway?

Maybe his parents have just yanked his internet connection or have taken away his computer as punishment. Either way; daft lad but sorry they came down so hard on you, although that said at least they didn't expel you for good.

$5000 isn't that harsh though. The costs of network downtime can be phenomenal.

As a ball park figure I'll give you an example of something that happened on the network that I admin.

A user took down a mail server by doing something silly. The server was down for 8 hours as a result as exchange is a right bugger to fix after a system crash. The effects of this lost server had a knock on across the network and resulted in no email access for an entire day on part of the network.

The problem is that the company this affected is huge and the area of the network where email was lost was a whole country. This left 2000 users without their main means of communication for a whole day, 16,000 man hours. If you consider that the network deals with 1.5 million emails a day you can get an idea of the amount of lost time for the company.

So if Crash has removed the virus protection on this network and one, or several, file servers had gone down for the day as a result he could be looking at costing the company something like 2000 x 8 x £15 (average hourly wage) or £240,000 as many companies can do nothing without the IT infrastructure.

Consider that there are over 40,000 employees in this company and a major virus attack could theoretically take down the entire network for several hours the cost gets very high, very quickly.

but they had everything logged on a linux server..

Do you really think i deserve the punishment i am givin?

oh yea i said a few abusive things to the teach aswell in the logger....

Heh' date=' love my Linux messages

From an administrative point of view, yes you do. you certainly did everything [i']knowingly[/i] that there may be consequences.

From a techie point of view, same as above.

May seem a little harsh, but tell me this, for what purpose did you set all that up and what were you going to do with the info that it would have given you?

That is where the big problem comes in, and like I said, you're lucky that they gave you what they did. they could have done far more damage to you.

always rem 7,7,7 privilages are THEIRS, never YOURS :)

Unless you can get a hold of a uid of 0. Then it would simply be goooood times - provided that you're the only one on and all the admins are asleep ;)

I've tried and have hacking(ed) my own system for a while. windows 95 - me are absolutely worthless. win2k + is a bit of a challenge. but a linux/unix is an outright bitch to get in and more importantly to stay invisible to the kernels logs.

Well the binging has gone down so im back, quite alot of response

Firstly i aint jailed...yet. Um to what YT was asking about the malicious part/joking you were correct in what you were saying when "it was a what if" type ting of which went drastically wrong...i thought it would of been funny to do it, to see if it actually worked,

Oh yea another thing im NEVER allowed to touch a computer in the school again

Damn stupidity...the school runs a complete network (highschool my Last year) so i dont know how many comps have to be fixed, but my computer station of which i work at has been shipped away for diagnostics :(

The worst part is they make me feel like the guy off the movie hackers (his name was crash too!) 1337 bs hax!

Guest bread theif

As a co-conspirator of Crash (hell, I got done in as well, just not suspended) I can say that he is making it sound worse than it really is.

Firstly, the keyloggers we used (his worked, mine didn't) were only active on our machines. They didn't log over the whole network, and he didn't set it up to send to his e-mail (what the hell Chris, why say that?)...

Secondly, they only logged on our username logins in XP, so therefore would only log what we wrote. We were totally bored in class, and decided to play around with some silly software. It was dumb as hell, but what ya gunna do...

We only got caught cos we started dancing around the room and laughing so much at how easily we installed the software. It was very studpid, but hardly malicious (from our POV anyway).

What dicks we have become...