How T0:-

NATT

Bros.. Could anyone please tell how to obtain elements...(I mean whatever element) easily in home.....

I hav a collection of chemicals n elements (Sulphur,Cuso4,H2SO4,Na,and some NaCl :P )

So guys i needa know... how to get some elements which are in I and II class metals.......Coz im some kinda interested in BOOMS!! :D :D

It sounds to me as though he's asking for a way to refine the periodic table of elements from the natural resources available at home.

Ohh jah...I gotta poor language of english...

Yeah i wanna refine elements....

well you chose the most difficult groups to isolate. Groups I and II are just not very stable as the elements. The one nearly everyone seems to want is sodium but I see you already have some of that. Please be VERY careful with it. Also remember that any water you drop that sodium into will become a solution of sodium hydroxide which is also very hazardous.

The other group I elements are essential impossible to make at home, and even if you could do it I'd suggest that you shouldn't try, because the dangers are far too great.

Some of the group II elements might be possible (perhaps calcium?) but i'm not up on the techniques.

If you want some magnesium, simply buy or find an old metallic pencil-sharpener.

If you already have sodium you could make the less reactive metals via a termite reaction with their respective salts.

eg. Na + LiCl -> Li + NaCl

2 Na + CaCl2 -> 2 NaCl + Ca

This could be extraordinarily dangerous though, I'm to sure how much heat would be generated. Be careful.

edit:

Also note that if you can somehow obtain the melting point of salts you can generate both group I and II metals by electrolysis of the molten salt.

eg. CaCl2 -> Cl2 + Ca

If you already have sodium you could make the less reactive metals via a termite reaction with their respective salts.

This could be extraordinarily dangerous though, I'm to sure how much heat would be generated. Be careful.

edit:

Also note that if you can somehow obtain the melting point of salts you can generate both group I and II metals by electrolysis of the molten salt.

eg. CaCl2 -> Cl2 + Ca

Thermite implies an aluminothermic reaction, which using sodium certainly is not. Lithium is a stronger reducing agent than sodium and lithium has a higher boiling point than sodium, so any attempt to make lithium with sodium is hopeless. You can often distill the product out of a molten bath of say, calcium, which uses Le Chatlier's principle to cheat standard reactivity series.

Calcium is appreciably soluble in molten CaCl2 and as a result it is produced via some tricky engineering that pulls the forming metal up out of the CaCl2 bath as a rod, to prevent it from dissolving and being reduced at the other electrode.

As for the original poster, there are better and less stupid ways to get BOOMS than alkali metals. I suggest you take that discussion elsewhere and try and keep your fingers.

I'd like to remind members that since this topic is based around some very dangerous materials, perhaps it'd be wise only to respond if you actually know what you're talking about and have tried the experiment you're reccommending for yourself in a controlled environment without burning your face off.

edit:

eg. CaCl2 -> Cl2 + Ca

Ohh yeah i got som Na but oooo am kinda confused to use it :P u knw... I bought it for 2000 rupeess oooooooooooo

But i wanna use it before i drop some water in it. haha

BTW...Thanx for th reply but ohh lol where i cud find LiCl???

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
well you chose the most difficult groups to isolate. Groups I and II are just not very stable as the elements. The one nearly everyone seems to want is sodium but I see you already have some of that. Please be VERY careful with it. Also remember that any water you drop that sodium into will become a solution of sodium hydroxide which is also very hazardous.

The other group I elements are essential impossible to make at home, and even if you could do it I'd suggest that you shouldn't try, because the dangers are far too great.

Some of the group II elements might be possible (perhaps calcium?) but i'm not up on the techniques.

If you want some magnesium, simply buy or find an old metallic pencil-sharpener.

Ohh yea??? Metallic pencil sharpners are made of Mg?!?!?!?!?

Great i needa try some NaOH but how can i make a conc.solution of NaOH without using Sodium??????

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
Thermite implies an aluminothermic reaction, which using sodium certainly is not. Lithium is a stronger reducing agent than sodium and lithium has a higher boiling point than sodium, so any attempt to make lithium with sodium is hopeless. You can often distill the product out of a molten bath of say, calcium, which uses Le Chatlier's principle to cheat standard reactivity series.

Calcium is appreciably soluble in molten CaCl2 and as a result it is produced via some tricky engineering that pulls the forming metal up out of the CaCl2 bath as a rod, to prevent it from dissolving and being reduced at the other electrode.

As for the original poster, there are better and less stupid ways to get BOOMS than alkali metals. I suggest you take that discussion elsewhere and try and keep your fingers.

Bro..here, i mean in Sri Lanka Sulphur and CuSO4 are very easy to find & ver damn cheap cuz ya know for Ayurveda stuff they use both of em...

So what can i do using these stuff?????? For now i just got nothing to do with em and just having fun with burning em :D ;)x

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
I'd like to remind members that since this topic is based around some very dangerous materials, perhaps it'd be wise only to respond if you actually know what you're talking about and have tried the experiment you're reccommending for yourself in a controlled environment without burning your face off.

I like that kinda things. :D :D Burninf ur face off...Big BANGs..and u know bla bla bla

Edited by NATT
Consecutive posts merged.

Great i needa try some NaOH but how can i make a conc.solution of NaOH without using Sodium??????

Firstly, simply dropping sodium metal in water, does not result in a 90- 100% conc. solution. To make pure sodium hydroxide, would require use of excess sodium per mole (god forbid :eek:). A much safer, and easier way, would be to gently boil a pre- existing solution of sodium hydroxide, to necessary concentrations, however sodium hydroxide can easily be bought in pure ionic form, as lye crystals, or a similar name. You can then proceed to add the solid, ionic sodium hydroxide to water, diluting to necessary concentrations. Caustic soda, and lye are also sodium hydroxide, however, this time, in the form of a solution of variable concentration.

Originally Posted by hermanntrude

Originally Posted by NATT

I like that kinda things. :D :D Burninf ur face off...Big BANGs..and u know bla bla bla

As previously stated, I hope that was simply some austere humour of yours, as it otherwise shows lack of prudence, and as such, I recommend that you read the following, before you proceed. They go by the name of material safety data sheets, or MSDS for short. It's best you familiarise yourself with them.

http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/SO/sodium_hydroxide.html

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/s2594.htm

ps: In regards to the magnesium, you ought to test the weight of the sharpener, as both magnesium and steel are used, however, the lightweight ones are magnesium. It should also be noted that the blade of the sharpener is always steel, and should be removed.

Edited by Theophrastus