Question about A-Delta-Fiber-Nociception

Hi:

I have speculative neuroscience question.

Let’s say that the PSTSNs in my body – and the ADFNs supplying them -- don’t have any refractory period or any other protections against hyper-excitability.

PSTSN = Peripheral Somatic Tactile Sensory Nerve

ADFN = A-Delta-Fiber-Nociceptor

Non-ADFN = Sensory-receptor/nerve-ending that is not an ADFN or the portion of a nerve that is attached to such a sensory-receptor/nerve-ending

ADFNPSTSN = A-Delta-Fiber-Nociceptor supplying a PSTSN

PSTSNNon-ADFN = A non-ADFN supplying a PSTSN

Tactile = Pertaining only to sense of touch [including temperature, pressure, pain, tickle, vibrations, movement, position, location etc.]. *Not* including any visual, auditory, gustatory, olfactory perceptions or any sensations associated with the sense of balance.

Peripheral = pertaining only to the peripheral nervous system and not the central nervous system.

Somatic = pertaining only to the somatic nervous system and not the visceral, autonomic, or enteric nervous systems

Let’s say a mysterious entity decides to stimulate all the ADFNPSTSNs in my body to the maximum extent possible [in terms of extent to which an ADFNPSTSN is stimulated, how many ADFNPSTSNs per area are stimulated, and duration of stimulation] – without damaging any of my PSTSNs or their ADFNs, exceeding the maximum threshold of sensory feedback, or overloading the rest of my nervous system.

During the ADFNPSTSN-excitement, the mystical entity also temporarily disconnects –without damaging – any PSTSNNon-ADFNs from my PSTSNs at the same time and at the same rate and amount at which it stimulates my ADFNPSTSNs. This disconnection is physically-harmless but causes my PSTSNNon-ADFNs to be completely unable to communicate with my PSTSNs until reconnection.

In this hypothetical scenario, the ADFNPSTSN-excitement and simultaneous PSTSNNon-ADFN-disconnection do *not* occur suddenly or in a flash. They take place in a gradual, smooth, and sine-wave-like manner -- in terms of extent to which an ADFNPSTSN is stimulated, how many ADFNPSTSNs per area are stimulated, and how many PSTSNNon-ADFNs per area are disconnected from their PSTSNs. Hence there is no hint of a startle response at any level.

What symptoms will I experience as a result of this extreme ADFNPSTSN excitement with simultaneous PSTSNNon-ADFN disconnection?

My guess is that my sympathetic nervous system would be disrupted causing neurogenic shock. Do I guess right?

Thanks,

Green Xenon

didnt understand your PSTSNNon-ADFN part! did you mean to say PSTSN without pain sensation?

Sorry for the confusion.

A PSTSNNon-ADFN supplies a PSTSN and is any sensory-receptor/nerve-ending that is not an A-Delta-Fiber-Nociceptor. PSTSNNon-ADFN also refers to the portion of any nerve that is attached to a sensory-receptor/nerve-ending that is not an A-Delta-Fiber-Nociceptor if that portion of the nerve supplies a PSTSN.

i think stimulation would cause you intense pain.for sympathetic to be disrupted, either brain or spinal cord should be stimulated instead of the periphiral part!

what has PSTSNNon-ADFN to do here?

i think stimulation would cause you intense pain.for sympathetic to be disrupted, either brain or spinal cord should be stimulated instead of the periphiral part!

what has PSTSNNon-ADFN to do here?

I asked my question after reading this:

Quote from the above site:

http://books.google.com/books?id=AB4fbXqlUJwC&pg=PA373&lpg=PA373&dq=%22extensive+superficial+burn%22+shock&source=bl&ots=wkO_EbLn9m&sig=ywnhw2l0NlXhfCE9DtVBPjbE8Ag&hl=en&ei=SBFVStunMpP6sQPMvJ3NDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6

"An extensive superficial burn produces great immediate shock, due to involvement of so many sensory nerve endings in the skin".

After reading the above, I was wondering if the A-delta-fiber-nociception described in the initial post of this thread would cause a similar shock reaction.