Matrix Solving Methods...

cramer's rule is good for theroretical consideration, but its pretty useless for computation of solutions of a large system of equations.

I prefer gauss-jordan elimination , and back substitution.

also to find inverses of matices for 3by 3 or larger use row operations as it much quicker and that determinant - adjugate way.

Also to find the determinant of a matrix laarger than 3by 3 matrix its generally quicker to use row and column operations of transform the matrix into any diagonal form. then the determinant can be quicked determined :) by computing the product of the diogonal entries.

Which solving method do you use?

and

Which ones do you know?

A mexican invented one method named DGO but i want to know if you know it already' date=' because if not, i can explain it here. :)[/quote']

never heard of DGO, lay it on me! :)

I prefer gauss-jordan elimination

Please, no more. They stole my name and then made a horrible method out of it. Really, of all the methods for solving systems, this is my least favorite.

And you can mark one more vote in the "haven't heard of DGO" column.

Please' date=' no more. They stole my name and then made a horrible method out of it. Really, of all the methods for solving systems, this is my least favorite.

And you can mark one more vote in the "haven't heard of DGO" column.[/quote']

so what do u normally use to solve a system of 10 equations with 10 variables.

Really, there is no set name for what I use. My teachers all hate it, but I find visualization a whole lot easier than anything else. I move through steps that no one else seems to follow, occasionaly scribble a few things down, and after coming up with a preliminary answer for one variable, substituting it back in to the others. No, it doesn't always work on the first try, but I find it much easier than trying to add three times row 5 to four times row two with the hopes of making everthing zeros. Though I've never tried ten, it seems like both methods would become increasingly difficult with increasing variables.

To be fair, you're not going to use anything to do 10 variables by hand because there's simply no point. You just bung it into something like Mathematica and a good half hour's work is done in about a minute.

I'm a firm believer in using a method that suits you. If it's good for you (and it's mathematically sound) then by all means go for it :)

I'm a firm believer in using a method that suits you. If it's good for you (and it's mathematically sound) then by all means go for it :)

My teachers never seems to go for that. They think their way is the only way. By the way, how are we defining "mathematically sound"?

If you've got some strange method that you use, be it a completely different method or an adaptation of the method, then it should be able to be proved mathematically - i.e. mathematically sound.

Then I guess it would work. The problem they have is that I go through the steps too quick in my head to write them all down. If I stop and work eveything out on paper, I forget where I was going and have to start over. Then they say I cheat somehow to get the answer or I'm just lazy. I can't win.

Sorry to drift so far off topic, but until AtomicMX explains what the DGO method is, I don't have much else to say.

Yeah i am sorry too, i am finishing the semester in my university and the things are quite hard, and i am going to make a Flash movie to explain you all the DGO solving method. :)

yeah sounds good. i'm sure it will be worth bookmarking, especially if i'm the only math person i know who knows about it. we only ever learn the usual stuff at my school.