Black Holes and Worm Holes

Tolmosoff

I believe that worm holes are inside Black Holes or is it in White Holes.

Is there some way to find a worm hole out there or is it just a wish.?.

Do worm holes only travel in one direction ?. And if we go into one to see whats out there :doh:and never ride the time tunnel back in the opposite direction for home ?.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok i'm not an expert on the subject but, worm holes are quite possible just not proven. You mentioned that worm holes are inside black holes, I am going to have to correct you on that one, from what i have read worm holes connect two points in the same universe while black holes connect two separate universes. And about it only traveling in one direction thats a tough one to call but i have heard of two way worm holes before

Edited by One of the Few

If you enter something. You can exit it.

No, not always. You can't escape a black hole :)

Think of a waterfall as an example. Let's say you are in a boat at the edge of it, and the stream is pulling you towards a very high waterfall. As long as you're away from the edge, you might be able to escape it, if you have a strong enough engine.

HOWEVER - if you pass the edge and you start falling down with the falling water (after the edge, with the waterfall), then no matter how powerful your boat's engine is, you will never be able to go back up towards the waterfall's edge and onto the safety of the river.

In that scenario, you "entered" a waterfall and you cannot get out of it.

That is similar to what happens in a Black Hole. A black hole's gravity is so intense that at some point you will need to have speed faster than the speed of light in order to achieve "Escape velocity" and get out of it. Since nothing can go faster than light, that's just not possible.

~moo

• 2 weeks later...

Mooeypoo, very good analogy with the boat. But fancy me this, what about the rest of the river. And for the fact that you cannot go faster than light, that is not true. If one were to "exit" the universe Einstein's relativity would not apply, for there is no space or time to impede FTL travel. Also i realize one cannot "exit' the universe due to the curvature of space-time one would arrive at the opposite end of the universe, it's hypothetical.

You cant compare a black hole to an actual hole.

They are very different, indeed. If you shovel dirt into a regular hole, it fills up. If you shovel dirt into a black hole, it gets bigger (in terms of the event horizon)

Is there some way to find a worm hole out there or is it just a wish.?.

Do worm holes only travel in one direction ?. And if we go into one to see whats out there :doh:and never ride the time tunnel back in the opposite direction for home ?.

As for the existence of worm holes Martin posted a link while back which suggested the impossibility of their existence. Sadly the link is now broken but I still do have a quote from the paper.

"Although such phenomena have never been observed, physicists have speculated that wormholes might find a justification within the still unknown theory of quantum gravity. In view of the negative results from the computer simulations of Euclidean quantum gravity, the viability of wormholes now seems exceedingly unlikely. Wormholes come in such a huge variety that they tend to dominate the superposition and destabilize it, and so the quantum universe never gets to grow beyond a small but highly interconnected neighborhood."

Thanks to Martin for posting this a while back and iNow for showing it to me.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

After doing a little hunting I found a different link to the article previous linked by Martin.