Zero Point Energy (zpe)

chain-reaction

As much as i want to explain what ZPE is, its not easy.... but i can give you a link to were you can sit back and read. I would be just curious about your opinion about this topic!

Thanks

http://www.zpower.net/zpe.htm

There is a ton more to read, but you just have to look around.

If you ever are more interested in the sub. There is a book called "the hunt for zero point " by nick cook

thanks again

I took the time to summarize this for everyone:

-developing several technologies which collect and convert energy from a previously untapped source, sometimes referred to as Zero Point Energy (ZPE).

-the key is the conversion of electromagnetic radiation energy to electrical energy, and more specifically the conversion of an extremely high frequency bandwidth of the electromagnetic spectrum

-Zero Point Energy -- vibrational energy that molecules retain even at the absolute zero of temperature

-measure of the intensity of random molecular motion, and it might be expected that, as temperature is reduced to absolute zero, all motion ceases and molecules come to rest. In fact, however, the motion corresponding to Zero Point Energy never vanishes.

-Physicists recognize that we are immersed in an energetic field. The existence of the zero point electromagnetic energy was discovered in 1958 by the Dutch physicist M. J. Sparnaay. Mr Sparnaay continued the experiments carried out by Hendrick B. G. Casimir in 1948

-existence of a force between two uncharged plates which arose from electromagnetic energy surrounding the plates in a vacuum

And some pictures:

-Zero Point Energy -- vibrational energy that molecules retain even at the absolute zero of temperature

1) How in the hell did these guys reached Absolute Zero - when all the rest of the physicists are able to come very, very close but w/o actually reaching it completely.

2) Molecular vibration in absolute zore temp is absolute nonsence.

By the way, thanks Tesseract for the summary of that bs.

If you solve the QM "particle in a box" for the universe (solve it for length L and then let L get very big) you get an answer that looks like (n +1/2)hbar*w for each of the infinite number of modes. n is the occupation number, or number of photons in that mode, and w is the frequency.

That means that even if there are no photons, there is an energy of hbar*w/2, and since there are an infinite number of terms, that sum is infinite. Physicists have long recognized that this infinity is meaningless and that the relevant energy quantity is the difference between two states.

The perpetual motion proponents want to tap into that infinity, but it's not real.

The force between parallel conducting plates is the Casimir force. When you solve the same equations for the plates, there aren't as many states - because of the boundary conditions, you can't have any modes with a half-wavelength longer than the separation of the plates. Those modes are absent, and the difference between the inside and outside energy exerts a force. (there are also interesting effects of suppression or enhancement of atomic de-excitation. You can keep an atom from decaying to the ground state in a properly prepared system, or you can make it decay faster than the free space equivalent)

The problem is that though the force is real and does work, it requires work to assemble the system. It's not a perpetual motion source.

Any site that is trying to hype perpetual motion is probably not the best source of info on ZPE.
I agree with swansont here. The Zero Point Field is an idea based on Heisenburg's uncertainty principle and deals with the incredibly vast amount of near-nothingness with which the universe is filled. Since matter at even absolute zero never comes to a complete rest, the minute amounts of energy could theoretically be tapped to provide more energy than all the stars put together.

To put it in terms of perpetual motion is ludicrous at best. It's more like using the Force, Luke.

• 5 weeks later...

Swansont hit the nail on the head. If someone could make like a windmill type thing, (thought im pretty sure its completely impossible.) Like something that rotates because of the ZPE field it might be easier to tap. Needless to say you'd have to some crazy a** geometry or something to pull it all together.

Although I wouldn't go so far as to condemn someone trying to do it though, I mean, the rewards are ridiculous if you can make it work