How many miles to the gallon are we talking, here?

dstebbins

I've been thinking about switching to a motorcycle because of the fact that they're so much cheaper (both to buy and to maintain) than cars. Well, I've found a nice one here.

http://www.hondaofrussellville.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=03165247X7K11K2009J9I15I55JAMQ2743R0&veh=3424&pov=1184862

I know it doesn't exactly look "macho," but that's the last thing on my mind.

Judging from those specs, what do you estimate the fuel efficiency for a 240lb driver would be?

Not sure, but I get about 50-55 mpg on my Honda, and it's a 600cc.

I thought this was a science forum; can't you predict anything? Like, can't you give me some kind of hypothesis?

Like, here's my logic for why the bike should give me at least 120mpg.

My current car has 20mpg, and it weighs 2725lb. Combined with my body weight and the junk I have in the passenger seat, it comes to about 3000lb.

192lb for this bike, and 240lb for my body weight, coupled with about 20lb for a backpack carrying either a week's supply of groceries (about 2lb per day, or 14lb per week) or my textbooks for college (about 10lb total, plus about 5lb for the backpack itself) brings me to about 451lb, so it's less than a sixth of the weight of my current car, so I can expect at least six times the fuel efficiency. Not only that, but a motorcycle has less parts banging against each other, which means less friction, so the fuel efficiency should go even higher.

Would you agree with my logic?

I thought this was a science forum; can't you predict anything? Like, can't you give me some kind of hypothesis?

Bite me. I was trying to help you. Then you respond like this? You'll be getting no more of my time and effort.

Would you agree with my logic?

No, and I'm not even going to tell you why because you were such a little prick.