Neural-marketing/economics

GutZ

I was watching some show on TV where they were discussing topics around the use of scanning a person's mind to see the effectiveness of a given advert or commercial.

As I was watching it I felt slightly uncomfortable by the concept. Especially as we advance technologically and scientifically how affective can they make these things? Will there be a point where it becomes more mind control when they can trigger any response they want? even if they can't totally do that, is there a line?

What about politics, the media, everything, any message could be manipulated.

Maybe I am going to the extreme here but what do you think?

That happens already, just more by trial and error, I fail to see what the difference is really, is it really better that people don't know that its happening to them in the first place like now.

Who is to say that people aren't allowed to take part in these studies if it isn't harming them or unethical towards them in anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

If a particular test subject agrees to such testing I believe there is no problem in scanning the brain. However the test subject should be made aware fully that their mental responses are being used to market particular products because in effect their mind in being made public.

• 4 weeks later...

being done on TV all the time. People study and implement ways of getting you to spend as much as they can get you to in gambling establishments for instance. They are very good at it. This is the World we live in, free market capitalism and all that. ...ds