Holding Your Breath

I have heard about people holding their breath for 8 minutes, while I can only manage 2 (about), and only by hyperventilating. I'd like to know how to train myself to do that, and how the heck you can hold for 8 minutes.

Oh, and one other question: For the people that live in low-oxygen environments, wouldn't their adaption to using less oxygen make it easier to hold their breath at sea level?

I have heard about people holding their breath for 8 minutes, while I can only manage 2 (about), and only by hyperventilating. I'd like to know how to train myself to do that, and how the heck you can hold for 8 minutes.

Well, I was told that the only way to acheive such a thing is to try and beats your old time at holding your breath.

I also heard of another way, it amkes your lungs stonger as you do it.

1.Take a deep breath, as much as possible.

2.Let the breath slowly out. Keep on removing it until you can go no further. You will know when that happens as you cannot let any breath out, and in effect, can't talk at all.

3.Try to maintain that status, and then. breath in.

I think you only need to do it for 5 minutes every day. But, it will take time to develop. Maybe years! :(

I really don't think it would create health problems. I mean, you might get oxygen deprivation for a while, but soon it will come back, and you'd be fine. Carbon dioxide might cause temporary problems, such as headaches (happens to me in a swimming pool), but I really doubt any long-term affects could result.

Yea, i play underwater hockey and can hold my breath for about five minutes (while playing hard out underwater), the down side is for extremists they grow abnormal lungs which end up sticking out the bottom of your rib cage which looks horrible. There are soem long term affetcs for very long times like killing of some brain cells through oxygen depletion.

There are soem long term affetcs for very long times like killing of some brain cells through oxygen depletion.

Its the most common one. But, I don't think people these days use their brains anyway! Not in my school at least!

Actually i some times turn my neck sideways (quitealot) and get a very sharp sudden jolt through my neck and back of head...followed by 5 or so minutes of one side of my brain tickling, is it possible that im pinchnig a vein and cutting off bloodsupply, resulting in lackk of oxygen to my brain, is this what causes my tingling in my brain?

yeah, I had it yesterday too, beats me why they call it the "Funny Bone", when it`s neither funny nor a Bone? :)

It's because the bone you pinch the nerve against is the humerus (geddit?).

So its a pinchd nerve? what nerve woulfd it be?, whats the tingling feeling?

It's the Ulnar nerve (the median and radial nerves can be found either side of the brachial fossa). The tingling feeling (parasthesia) is due to the sudden compression disrupting transmission. The Ulnar nerve innervates the C8 dermatome (the outside of your forearm and little and ring finger and the pad of your palm below those fingers) which is why the sensation appears to come from those areas.

No. The tingling is just random firing as the nerve 'resumes normal service'. Severe compression or ischemia can do damage, but this is usually signalled by complete lack of sensation, or tingling/burning sensations that don't go away.

• 2 weeks later...

well this is what we called the acccimitization at high altitude which the himalaya ppls do a type of modification but for that i will advice you to start yoga with meditations and you can even hold your breadth for about 15 minutes and also do some muscular exersise to increase your vital capacity (volume of gas we can expire forcefully after forceful inspiration).