The dangers of everyday life

swansont

the average person would run a mile from anything after reading a MSDS, they are notorious for appearing to overestimate risks drastically. examples include respirators gloves and goggles for handling table salt, gloves and goggles for water and IIRC you should avoid the inhalation of oxygen according to them.

O M G

MSDS Number: S3338

Chemical Formula: NaCl

Lab Protective Equip: GOGGLES; LAB COAT; PROPER GLOVES

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/s3338.htm

Copying this over to a new thread in Chemistry so as not to further derail a discussion on the safety of vaccinations, but to underscore that the amount matters.

——————

Another danger: salad dressing

Here's the MSDS for Acetic acid (i.e. what you find in vinegar)

POISON! DANGER! CORROSIVE. LIQUID AND MIST CAUSE SEVERE BURNS TO ALL BODY TISSUE. MAY BE FATAL IF SWALLOWED. HARMFUL IF INHALED. INHALATION MAY CAUSE LUNG AND TOOTH DAMAGE. FLAMMABLE LIQUID AND VAPOR.

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/a0326.htm

Any more examples of everyday items that are deemed dangerous in large amounts?

I'm a smidge lazy, to actually look up the precise MSDS's, but you can look up ammonium and sodium bicarbonate which are (or were) used in baking soda. Calcium sulfate, which is commonly used in plaster and chalk. Calcium carbonate as well. (Is used in chalk) Silicon dioxide, which is basically sand. Calcium chloride, I believe is used as road salt. Glutamic acid is sometimes added to salsa, if I am not mistaken. Pure metals, common in everyday life, such as magnesium, iron, and aluminum, might be worth a look. (I doubt these are all immensely toxic (obviously, as we encounter them constantly, throughout life), but I'm interested to see what it reads on the MSDS, as I do agree that while they take note of all possible percautions (for good reason, mind you) they do have a tendency to be a bit... overly cautious, at times)

ps: I could list some more, but my time is sadly scarce. Au revoir! :)

Edited by Theophrastus
quick revision

Water

Research has found that long duration endurance events, such as the Ironman distance triathlons, often have finishers with low blood sodium concentrations. Those at most risk are those who are on the course the longest, because they tend to drink the most water during the event. Runners who drink extra fluids in the days before the race or those who stop at water stop during the race are also at increased risk of hyponatremia. In fact, a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine (April, 2005) found that 13 percent of Boston Marathon runners developed hyponatremia from drinking too much water.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/hydrationandfluid/a/Hyponatremia.htm

In regards to water, I was actually at a time, teasing my not- so- chemistry savvy friend that in one of my experiments, there was a leak of "deadly" "dihydrogen monoxide" (:D) gas. To my greatest bemusement, four periods later, he was able to convince numerous students and unsuspecting educators, (using various made up stories and fake references) to sign a petition to ban the dangerous chemical, from the public sphere. Damn!- :D I laughed like hell after that one! (several periods later, so as not to seem the fool, lest research was done, on people's part, he admitted his own trickery: though the consecutive responses to this gesture were... dare I say it... mixed. :D)

Edited by Theophrastus
insertion of an exclamation mark.

Weeell. Highly concentrated acetic acid is actually not that good if ingested. I had an accident with that a while back and the skin of my hand did start to peel off. I having it in direct contact with living tissue would not have been that much fun. That being said, most parts of the MSDS from many manufacturers are automatically generated. The safety ratings are a somewhat better thing to look for. For instance, I would not be surprised if on the MSDS sheet for water it would recommend to rinse your eyes with water if you get water in your eyes....