Human emotion

jamey2k9

humans are very emotional creature's but what sparks emotion and how is it some people just crack and burst into tears whereas in the same situation someone could just stand there showing no emotion at all. so basically what causes emotion?

• 1 month later...
pretty interesting question.....

but ....i think that emotions are useless they are just pain in the brain .....they are unnecessary .......remove it (block it) then you brain will be much free ' date=' and think much broadly .......[/quote']

Just as ridiculous as as all the villains who thought the same from Doctor Who.

Emotions are the driving force of just about everything anyone does. Ambition and restlessness are productive, so are greed and desire, obviously a species needs lust, love is a good binder for social pack/troop animals, fear has obvious survival value, just to name a scant few blatant ones, not to mention the clear benefits of hope or the driving force of anger. Why think about anything when you don't care about anything or have no reason to pursue a goal? Emotionally lobotamize humanity and you destroy it in its entirety in a very short time I'd imagine.

"INOW" are you nutts , because you are posting the same thing every were (to reply me)

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

i don't know that you think ........but its my theory and indeed is has many evidence .......but i wouldn't like to prove to you all , it is the way i think......

i meant not to give evidence because it is very hard for me to explain those evidence to others and it is bit complicated and this thing is not you can understand by reading but by experiencing it or by feeling it .In this part of the d world ( where "d" just a random name for time being) definition are modified ........

i m very sorry for that

If you can't explain it, you don't understand it. Period.

Your personal feelings are not evidence. We want fMRI studies and EEGs, *real* data.

i am sure that our brain is not such an easy think to understand or measure .......there are many thing or process in our brain which can not be measured by our units and tecnology , we still need to develop more.........there is a hole in our knowledge about brain , at the center of it , i.e hoe it works , it is hard to explain them physically ...........

i am sure that our brain is not such an easy think to understand or measure .......there are many thing or process in our brain which can not be measured by our units and tecnology , we still need to develop more.........there is a hole in our knowledge about brain , at the center of it , i.e hoe it works , it is hard to explain them physically ...........

If the technology to collect the data you need to support your "theory" then you have no evidence and your point is simply speculation.

Human emotions are quite important as they help prolong our survival. For example, fear allows humans to recognize a dangerous situation and avoid it.

Also, hemantc007 appears to be conflating the terms "brain" and "consciousness." We have a pretty good understanding of the human brain, and that understanding gets better with each day. When he says we don't understand it, I presume he intends to refer to consciousness instead.

i understand what you say ,and thanks

but my "theory" is still yet to be developed fully , and i need a proper way in which i can put it in front of people . I will try to complete it as soon as possible , but the thing is that almost every(65%) time i try think about it , i get to know that there is more to this and more and more , so it just goes on expanding.

I WILL TRY MY BEST

and any way i don't have only one or two theory to complete , there are many , i have never counted but it should be near 10.

I don;t want to make fool of me by just giving incorrect theory (i will try my best for that) , so i will cross check it first my self once it is completed .

in the mean while i might talk about them to correct my mistake (that is very less probable) .

or i might change my mind some day

i hope you understood what i meant to say ( due to improper english )

thanks once again!!!!!

pretty interesting question.....

but ....i think that emotions are useless they are just pain in the brain .....they are unnecessary .......remove it (block it) then you brain will be much free , and think much broadly .......

Quite the opposite. Patients who have suffered damage to the emotional centers of the brain are typically unable to make any sort of decision. Without emotions, you are incapable of answering "What do you want to do?" and "What should you do next?". Channel your emotions, don't suppress them.

I really have no opinion on this subject as I've put forth no effort in studying the causal links between chemistry, logic and emotion. I am however quite curious about the subject as I have had some issues in terms of maintaining a normal emotional state.

Today I started to cry at work which was almost completely random to the events of my day. I just suddenly became sad and overwhelmed. This happens often but usually it is triggered by a chain of thoughts I'm having or a pronounced outside stimuli. It was only a couple of tears which where proceeded with a dozen sneezes. :P

I've seen many psychiatrists and most have not diagnosed me with any acute emotional problems. When I was a teenager one psychiatrist prescribed me lithium bisalts for manic depression in the case that I may be. They made me feel emotionally sick and we stopped the treatment.

I'm often terrified of the people around me and the possible thoughts they could have with regards to me. At the same time I'm often the one who is laughing just a little to loud. I'm contemplating seeing a psychologist as the down side to my emotions can be a bit much at times. My GP agrees that it may be beneficial. I don't know it would be nice to not worry so much and not be so scared of the people around me. I really don't see how these feelings can in any way be beneficial.

[edit]

great I'm cryin' again..............

Edited by buttacup

I really have no opinion on this subject as I've put forth no effort in studying the causal links between chemistry, logic and emotion. I am however quite curious about the subject as I have had some issues in terms of maintaining a normal emotional state.

Today I started to cry at work which was almost completely random to the events of my day. I just suddenly became sad and overwhelmed. This happens often but usually it is triggered by a chain of thoughts I'm having or a pronounced outside stimuli. It was only a couple of tears which where proceeded with a dozen sneezes. :P

I've seen many psychiatrists and most have not diagnosed me with any acute emotional problems. When I was a teenager one psychiatrist prescribed me lithium bisalts for manic depression in the case that I may be. They made me feel emotionally sick and we stopped the treatment.

I'm often terrified of the people around me and the possible thoughts they could have with regards to me. At the same time I'm often the one who is laughing just a little to loud. I'm contemplating seeing a psychologist as the down side to my emotions can be a bit much at times. My GP agrees that it may be beneficial. I don't know it would be nice to not worry so much and not be so scared of the people around me. I really don't see how these feelings can in any way be beneficial.

[edit]

great I'm cryin' again..............

It is better to cry when you feel to , but do not disturbe other , at the sane time do not try to resist it as it will consume almost more than the double brain usage (and energy) at that time. It is better to loes one than 2 , isn't it................

Well, there is a difference between controlling emotions and having none at all. Emotions are tightly associated with motivation. Maybe you recall times when you had to choose between things that have no preference over each other, or when you simply do not care. In theory these choices should be easy, as any choice would be equivalent to the other. However, have you noted how long it sometimes can take to decide in such a situation (or just state "I do not care. You choose")?

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt human emotions are much different from the emotions of other highly developed mammals such as dogs,monkeys,elephants and such. We all feel fear,anger,hatetred and such towards those that threaten us. On the other hand we feel kindly toward those we percieve as helpful to our existance. And then there is sexual attraction and need wHich at times puts those previously mentioned needs into conflict at times. That good freind of yours who has suddenly taken a strong interest in your new girlfreind. Things like that have been known disrupt and confuse ones emotions or feelings at times. ...DS

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Dear Buttacup, Crying is your nervous system`s way of healing itself. These feelings often are the result of suppressed feelings from childhood. There is something called Primal Therapy that deals with this. If you wish to learn more about this google: Janov+primal therapy. There is so very much information on the web about all this. I always allow myself to cry as much as I feel like it when it is safe to do so and feel better having done so. Cry at home or at some trusted friends, things like that. NOT IN PUBLIC. ...Dr.Syntax

Dear Buttacup, Crying is your nervous system`s way of healing itself. These feelings often are the result of suppressed feelings from childhood. There is something called Primal Therapy that deals with this. If you wish to learn more about this...

<...>

Cry at home or at some trusted friends, things like that. NOT IN PUBLIC. ...Dr.Syntax

No, Dr. Syntax. Much more likely is that buttacup is continually suppressing her true emotions in public, essentially repressing them until they boil over and out of her control. Emotions will come out, and when we push them down all the time, they come out more forcefully. It has little to do with childhood, and won't be cured with this primal therapy you tout in every post you make. It's simply an indicator that she needs to be more authentic with her feelings, and deal with them in the present instead of pushing them aside as they happen.

Telling her to "NOT CRY IN PUBLIC" is probably the single worst piece of advice you could offer.

EDIT: My apologies to buttacup if my post crossed any lines or is inaccurate in any way.

Edited by iNow

humans are very emotional creature's but what sparks emotion

The amygdala plays a large part in this, and I think also some neurotransmitters and hormones are involved.

and how is it some people just crack and burst into tears whereas in the same situation someone could just stand there showing no emotion at all. so basically what causes emotion?

Remember that showing emotion and having emotion are two separate things. Some people are in control of their emotions, some try to suppress them, and some are controlled by them.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
Telling her to "NOT CRY IN PUBLIC" is probably the single worst piece of advice you could offer.

Well there are definite disadvantages to crying in public as well. I think his point was that if she allows herself to cry in private, she can let these emotions out without embarrassing herself.

Well there are definite disadvantages to crying in public as well. I think his point was that if she allows herself to cry in private, she can let these emotions out without embarrassing herself.

I know what his point was. It doesn't negate mine. While there may be social repercussions to crying in public, the reason she feels like crying in the first place (I postulate) is that she too commonly pushes those emotions down for fear of how she will be perceived, instead of being authentic with her feelings and expressing them as they present naturally. If my suggestion is accurate, then pushing them down even more only exacerbates the problem... It does NOT resolve it. And... with me... I put personal health over social health pretty much any day of the week, but I suppose YMMV.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
Crying is your nervous system`s way of healing itself.

And, seriously... WTF does that even mean? What a bunch of horseshit.

So, if I get diabetic neuropathy after another decade all I have to do is cry to get my nervous system to "heal itself?" Awesome! Yay! Can it also cure the effects of a stroke? Sweet, dude... Good deal. Bell's Palsy? Just get those little monkeys to shed a few tears and they'll be fine! Also, let's just tell everyone on the planet with multiple sclerosis to watch a chic flick where some old codger kicks the bucket and they'll be saved. Oh, and don't forget about Old Yeller... That's some high quality pharmaceuticals right there, man, just be sure to use as directed. I wonder if my health insurance covers Netflix. I should check... Just in case I ever get Parkinson's disease. Why have we been wasting all of this money on medical research when all we needed to do was cry? Thanks, Dr. Syntax! You've changed my life! :doh:

Edited by iNow
Consecutive posts merged.

Yes. There are drugs that exist today that can sort of do this. Mood stabilisers (like prozac and Lithium) can interact with the reactions that cause emotion, either by directly effecting the chemical or by interacting with the release or absorption of them, or by effecting the neurological reaction to these chemicals.

It would also be possible to induce emotions in people by injecting the right chemicals into the right places in the brain 9or even by taking a pill in some circumstances).

However, the ethical issues would be enormous to do a controlled trial of such actions.