• count me in (I've signed in below)
    • I'll be there -- anonymous
    • any picked time is fine
    • 1 pm is best, or...
    • 2 pm
    • 3 pm
    • 4 pm
    • 5 pm

I'm thinking no one can really bring hot food, so maybe we can go with small cold items. Don't sweat it too much, I'm bringing a cooler with ice packs and extra snacks for munchies.

Plus a canopy tent for shade just in case we need it.

And even some German potato salad if anyone likes that. But surely there's plenty of eats around too, it's NYC. There's a small group of us, so if bringing something would be inconvenient, then don't give it a second thought.

I can bring along some veggies too from my garden if anyone's into healthy snackage.

...plenty in there

2rq0sc5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Unless you've already readied stuff for a pot-luck, I think light snacks would do just fine instead. Then we're not bogged down much.

And in case of rain, there's the American Museum of Natural History as a good alternative. Keeps us dry, and it's lots of science. Heck, we can decide to go there after a bit of park relaxing. Tip of the hat to mooey for the idea.

The train is cheap, the all day pass is under $10 if we decide on the museum or elsewhere. We'll keep it a tad spontaneous.

As a possible last resort and if we end up all over 21, maybe we can even vote whether to check one of the "best brainy bars" reviewed at the link.

For the ones who signed up, you'll find my cell number in your message box to call when you're nearby, to help keep us coordinated.

It's going to be a fun science-y day with fellow boards people. And I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

I might be able to make it, I'm about an hour away. Getting my license in a few months so I'd need a parent to get me there, but it's possible.

Excellent. Hope you're able to make it.

Installing Oovoo later, I'll post more about it tonight, like what member name I'll be choosing.

The 30-day free trial allows up to 5 people conferencing at once.

Due to the laptop battery, I can maybe get a little over an hour. Not sure. Therefore, I'm going to put a time slot for it, like 3-4 pm, or 3:30-4:30.

Anyone in the world liking to drop by on video: check the thread after 9 am Eastern Standard Time, if you're interested in logging on, to check schedule for any last minute changes.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

I'll not be using Oovoo, its system requirements are Pentium 4.1Ghz which I don't even have close to. I'll try Skype later.

If so, I'll post the member name later, so keep checking the thread after 1pm.

It's done, a whole two people showed up: mooey and I. We sat across the street from the Museum of Natural History on a bench off Central Park and just ended up talking until way late afternoon. Didn't even go into the museum except when I had to use their bathroom. I saw a big dinosaur inside by the entrance though! :)

Anyway, mooey's a smart cookie. If you talk to her, watch out, as she might dole out some good challenges to your beliefs -- as she did me. Or perhaps I was just tired (4 hours sleep) and fell a bit into a trance for she's quite hot (being also into nerdy yet cool things!) Missed out ydoaPs! :P

If people are interested maybe we can do this again. Dunno, I like the whole idea, however maybe someone else is better able to coordinate and organize it. But I'm a traveler by nature and if were heading midwest between Texas and Denver, I actually have two other people of the forums I'd like to meet.

By the way, the Oovoo account I made is ScienceNortheastUS. If anyone wants to handle it, just post and I'll send you the password.

I demand lots of photos!

Neither of us even took our cameras out, my new disposable's still in the package -- bought it today. Supply was high, demand low (the exclamation point did boost it some..not enough though).

not 4.1GHz, its a pentium 4 clocked at 1GHz.

Damn, I must've imagined a period in there, how it's written I'm not surprised though...