• count me in (I've signed in below)
    • I'll be there -- anonymous
    • any picked time is fine
    • 1 pm is best, or...
    • 2 pm
    • 3 pm
    • 4 pm
    • 5 pm

Fellow members of the boards community within a reasonable distance of NY City.

I've found that a good many of us live near enough to the Big Apple that if we'd like to plan a gathering to meet others who post on these boards, it's doable. And so...here's a call for just that kind of meeting.

A simple pot-luck in the afternoon or later in Central Park, on August 30th (a Sunday).

If you're interested, please "sign in" below. Or, vote for option labeled "I'll be there -- anonymous" in the poll at top. Also check off an ideal time for you.

The schedule most voted for becomes the time we start the picnic.

If you have any ideas to offer, please do. They're welcome!

On Aug. 1st, the meeting time will be finalized to give people enough of a buffer for adjusting their schedules.

Hope to meet you there! :)

P.S. In case of rain, we should have a back-up meeting place that's indoors. I'm not familiar enough with the city to know a good place, so if you such a location, recommend it!

Thanks

Fellow members of the boards community within a reasonable distance of NY City.

I've found that a good many of us live near enough to the Big Apple that if we'd like to plan a gathering to meet others who post on these boards, it's doable. And so...here's a call for just that kind of meeting.

A simple pot-luck in the afternoon or later in Central Park, on August 30th (a Sunday).

If you're interested, please "sign in" below. Or, vote for option labeled "I'll be there -- anonymous" in the poll at top. Also check off an ideal time for you.

The schedule most voted for becomes the time we start the picnic.

If you have any ideas to offer, please do. They're welcome!

On Aug. 1st, the meeting time will be finalized to give people enough of a buffer for adjusting their schedules.

Hope to meet you there! :)

P.S. In case of rain, we should have a back-up meeting place that's indoors. I'm not familiar enough with the city to know a good place, so if you such a location, recommend it!

Thanks

Sounds good. I spend the weekdays in VA and some weekends in MD, so I should be able to make it up for a day.

Excellent. I hope you can :):cool:

Do you a have a preferable time slot, or anything between 1 and 5 pm will do just fine?

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Obviously I'm going, but I just voted in *officially*. Just forgot to pick "any time", but I'll get there early regardless, so any schedule is good for me.

Hey Mooey, I believe that spammer works about 4.5 blocks east of the Metropolitan Museum. Taking everyone over there for a "scientific inquiry" could be an amusing way to follow up on the meet-and-greet. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The meet time is officially 2 p.m. to give leeway for any sleepy heads :) (I'll be there at 1 p.m. to begin setting up). I'm checking on a good place for indoor alternates in case of rain, will post it next week after my current job's done.

I'm happy with 4 people, though maybe we can add one person each week until the 30th...for a total of 7 people. And to help achieve that, I'll begin a contest of the trivia sort -- with prizes you can get at the meet.

The cooler I'm bringing will have a six-pack of unique beer nice and icy cold. And I'm giving five of them away -- one each, to the first correct answer (who's at least 21).

First one will be easy, but it's a double-question. And, since it's related to the work I do, you learn a tad about me.

So...#1. In the pic below: what's that contraption the guy (denim jacket) is standing on, and what year did the event take place?

0.jpg

I feel I know the answer but since I am not going to the meeting I will let someone else answer.

You know, go ahead. I realized the pool for answers is small. Therefore, if correct, you may pass it on to someone who's attending, or heck, I'll even mail the bottle to ya (feeling generous at the moment :))

And, perhaps you can toast with us...

For I just got an idea earlier today. People who live far away can still "attend" the meet using a webcam. But I'm not familiar with the tech, like how it works for viewing multiple people who drop by to say hi. If the laptop's positioned ideally, they can see us and we'd be able to see new log-ons that pop in.

I've got a laptop, and can get a webcam, plus if anyone gives instructions on the software needed I can hook it up, test it, and have it ready for the 30th. Thoughts?

You know, go ahead. I realized the pool for answers is small. Therefore, if correct, you may pass it on to someone who's attending, or heck, I'll even mail it to ya (feeling generous at the moment :))

And perhaps you can toast with us.

For I just got an idea earlier today. People can "attend" the meet using a webcam two-ways. But I'm not familiar with such tech, like how it works for viewing multiple people who drop by to say hi. If the laptop's positioned ideally, they can see us and we'd be able to see new log-ons that pop in.

I've got a laptop, and can get a webcam, plus if anyone gives instructions on the software needed I can hook it up, test it, and have it ready for the 30th. Thoughts?

Oovoo is like Skype, but it allows users to video chat with multiple other users.

Oovoo is like Skype, but it allows users to video chat with multiple other users.

Cool, sounds promising, just note that I want something most people are likely to have. I'll give it a looksy, thanks.

I believe you are standing on the Super Bowl XLII halftime stage for Tom Petty and the Heart breakers. Super Bowl XLII happened in 2008.

You'll have to choose a different beverage due to age, however you'll receive it in time for a toast with us on the 30th. Nicely done, congrats!

(working many hours the next two days, see you all Wednesday)

Cool, sounds promising, just note that I want something most people are likely to have. I'll give it a looksy, thanks.

You'll have to choose a different beverage due to age, however you'll receive it in time for a toast with us on the 30th. Nicely done, congrats!

(working many hours the next two days, see you all Wednesday)

Thanks, your offer is very generous. I should be off on the 30th so if you guys do the webcam thing I hopefully can toast with you guys.

For everyone's convenience as it's nearer to Port Authority and it's easier to find the others, I'm changing the location to Bryant Park. And, from what I heard it's a free WiFi spot -- another plus.

Looking at the Satellite view of "Bryant Park, NY" on Google Maps (and zoomed in), I'm thinking label "A" is probably a good spot for it.

Again, I'll be there an hour early. But 2 p.m. is the official time.

So, for anyone interested in popping in by video....how do you feel about Oovoo, Skype, or just regular webcam?

This is a better map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=bryant+park,+ny&sll=40.675234,-73.971043&sspn=0.342139,0.405121&ie=UTF8&ll=40.753263,-73.983157&spn=0.00534,0.00633&z=17

Bryant park is just behind the NY Public Library, on 42nd and Fifth Ave. Cute little park with chairs and tables and a coffee shop and WiFi.