sound of the sun

flass

Guest ejwill83

Maybe it is in-audible; well, at least to us. According to space.com, the noise that bounced around the universe 380,000 years after the Big Bang (granted the universe was much a 'small' dense gas cloud) has been identified and somewhere in the range of 57 octives below middle C. It is a debate whether we, as humans, can hear noise in space. We could, if our eardrums were sensitive enough to pick up the tiny vibrations created by the miniscule about of atoms in a space vacuum (compared, to say, under water).

Unless I am horribly, horribly wrong.

Uh, Im pretty sure you are.

Sounds travells by vibrations in molecules. The closer together these molecules are, the easier it is for the vibrations to move from one molecule to another. This is why sound travels further in water than in air. In space, there are so few atoms that even if they started to vibrate, they wouldn't touch another atom to transfer the vibrations to.

• 3 weeks later...

3000 G bell this is the sound intensity approximately on the sun we will die if we hear such a loud sound coz it would not only destroy our thympanic membrane but also will increase the tempreature of earth and we all will cogulate. :)

AM I RIGHT AM I WRONG I AM DEAD.

You need a medium for soundwaves to travel through, and space is a vacuum, yada yada yada... I'm sure the sun is emitting a ton of radio waves, so I guess you could listen to the static.

You should check out the July 2004 issue of National Geographic. It's got some kickin photos of the sun. Also check out their website for a bunch of crap they put together on this.

And here's what they say the big bang sounded like.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest shaqarava

Wouldn't our heads explode or implode or something unpleasant if we heard the sun close up?

Oh, and the 50 second clip of the big bang sounds like my washing machine in the middle of the night :P