Science in "Day after Tmr"

bloodhound

Just imagine the other people that don't really understand about it. They would think that what is going in the movie is true! I feel a lot of pity for them :(

I wouldnt think they would be so stupid.And why the heck did the core start spinning the other way ??? That dosnt make any sense ??? :mad::)

Yeah, it was that the core stopped spinning. In real life, what would have happened if something like that happened? Would the earth loose its magnetic field?

It dosnt matter imagine the immense amount of energy that would have to be used.

And the ship they used withstanded the immense pressure and heat going down but they exploded the A-bombs from inside the parts of the ship!I dont think that the metal culd withstand that kind of heat and pressure and not be able to keep together when the bomb expoded... :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

The day after tomorrow. The climatology of the storm i could figure out. But the time duration of the storm's life was just too too short. If this happens in real life the storm's life mightve been two centuries.

And the ship they used withstanded the immense pressure and heat going down but they exploded the A-bombs from inside the parts of the ship!I dont think that the metal culd withstand that kind of heat and pressure and not be able to keep together when the bomb expoded... :rolleyes:

Good point... I just remembered, the first atomic bombs were held in massive lead casings that would contain the explosion if it went off.

The day after tomorrow. The climatology of the storm i could figure out. But the time duration of the storm's life was just too too short. If this happens in real life the storm's life mightve been two centuries.

As soon as the air came to the surface it would compress and heat up. If it did not compress then they would have suffocated. You can’t have it both ways. The only reason the air up there is that cold is because it is thin.

So... care to tell up why you think it is possible?

Good point... I just remembered' date=' the first atomic bombs were held in massive lead casings that would contain the explosion if it went off.

[/quote']

you ARE kidding right? :)

So... care to tell up why you think it is possible?

Well im not sure if the "supercell" cooling is a hollywood creation or not. I didnt say i completely agree with the movie itself. I agreed with the possibility of the storm. Yes they wouldve suffocated, but yet theres another error of the movie. Its also known that the temperatures also relies on pressures. Remember that the center of the storm was tremendously low in pressure. So if the storm's massive rotation did pull down the air, it wouldve remained supercooled because of the low pressure.

You could doubt me, im kinda hazy on the anatomy of the eye.

No no no, it was used to transport the plutonium core along with the high explosives. It would contain the blast as long as no nuclear explosion followed. It was actually steal not lead... lead is soft.

But ya, I just realized that thats not relevant to the argument...

I think you`ll find the 2 were not contained in the same compartment, the Pu would have been in the Lead one (seperated into parts so as not to go critical and melt down) and the H.E would have been in the steel one, to be assembled on site :)

google...

Jumbo

Lying next to the entrance to the fence surrounding Trinity Site' date=' are the remains of Jumbo. Jumbo was a 214-ton steel container built to contain the precious plutonium core of the Trinity device in case the 5,300-pounds of high explosives in the bomb detonated, but no nuclear explosion resulted. Built by the Babcock and Wilcox Steel Corporation of Barberton, Ohio, Jumbo was approximately 28 feet long and 12 feet, 8 inches in diameter. It resembled a giant Thermos with walls of solid steel up to 16 inches thick.

In 1944, plutonium was extremely rare, and expensive because it was so difficult to produce. So much thought went into containing the plutonium, (worth tens of millions of dollars) in case the high explosive lenses surrounding the plutonium core exploded without setting off a nuclear blast. After research and testing of other potential containment ideas, the concept of Jumbo was decided on in the late summer of 1944. However in the spring of 1945, after Jumbo had been built and transported (with great difficulty) to the Trinity Site by the Eichleay Corporation of Pittsburgh, it was decided not to use it after all. There were several reasons for this decision: first, plutonium had become more readily available; second, the Project scientists decided that the Trinity device would probably work as planned; and last, it was realized that if Jumbo were used it would affect the test results, and add 214 tons of highly radioactive material to the atmosphere.

Not knowing what else to do with this expensive, (approximately 12 million dollars) and massive containment device, it was decided to suspend Jumbo from a 70-foot steel tower 800 yards from Ground Zero to see how it would withstand the Trinity explosion. Jumbo survived the 20 kiloton blast undamaged, but its steel tower was flattened. Two years later, in April 1947, in an attempt to destroy Jumbo before it possibly came to the attention of a congressional investigating committee, General Groves ordered two junior officers at the Special Weapons Division at Sandia base in Albuquerque to test Jumbo using conventional explosives. Eight 500-pound bombs were placed in the bottom of Jumbo. Since the bombs were placed in the bottom, and not in the center of Jumbo, (the correct position) the resultant explosion blew both ends off Jumbo. Unable to totally destroy Jumbo, the Army buried it in the desert, where it remained until 1951. It was not until the early 1970s that the impressive remains of Jumbo, still weighing over 180 tons, were moved to their present position near the entrance to Tinity Site. [/quote']

Sorry for the sapm :P

I think you`ll find the 2 were not contained in the same compartment, the Pu would have been in the Lead one (seperated into parts so as not to go critical and melt down) and the H.E would have been in the steel one, to be assembled on site :)

yep yep your right im wrong.

Well im not sure if the "supercell" cooling is a hollywood creation or not. I didnt say i completely agree with the movie itself. I agreed with the possibility of the storm. Yes they wouldve suffocated' date=' but yet theres another error of the movie. Its also known that the temperatures also relies on pressures. Remember that the center of the storm was tremendously low in pressure. So if the storm's massive rotation did pull down the air, it wouldve remained supercooled because of the low pressure.

You could doubt me, im kinda hazy on the anatomy of the eye.[/quote']

Well if the pressure was that low then I think things would boil instead of freeze.

Well if the pressure was that low then I think things would boil instead of freeze.

Oh yeah! Sorry. Thinking of hurricanes. Well i told you im hazy ;) but knowing that the air is rapidly sinking it would mean a very high pressure. So if its a high pressured area i could assume it would really freeze. :)

But then the air would warm up again.

Oh well. Ill just have to rethink the science of the eye. If i dont find anything congratulations on proving that its a hollywood creation ;) Just the eye though, the storm itself is theoretical and possible.

Okay. This is a completely arguable thing : the eye. And this is a completely unscientifical, last minute hypothesis. Completely arguable. Okay the storm depicted in the movie is continental in size. Probably the limit to singular stoms (if youre wondering about mars "global" dust storms its really kind of like several updrafts of dust that interconnects with each other across the planet) on earth. Well because of its really massive size and high wind speeds as the storm rotates inward (not like a hurricanes outward spin) it pulls down the supercooled air of the tropopause maybe along with some air from the lower stratosphere, possible affecting the ozone above the eye. Now that the air is descending rapidly and is about -150 F or lower.. warm air couldnt rise because of its rapid cooling. Though the air would be or should be warming the rapidly descending air would be pushing down on the warm air and cooling the warm air rapidly. So shortly speaking there isnt any warming of air. Lets say the eye is kinda like an "anti tornado" This is could plausible, but give away your arguments. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
What are your thoughts on "The Core"?

A fellow said they had good Physics ... for about 15 mins. or so.

:/

I'm still wondering whether to watch it or not.

I have watched it before.

Has it been produced long time ago and how long?

In HK, it seems to be produced about one-two year and so far