how do low pressure hg lamps work?

the guy

Did you try wikipedia?

Or google pictures?

Because those previous links, and this one too, are what you find by doing a simple Google search.

I admit that [hg lamp] was not very useful in google, because the 1st and 2nd hit were useless, and you have to read all the way down to the 3rd link. But that was the wikipedia site I linked to... and it also showed [mercury vapor lamp] as another way of saying [hg lamp]. That enables you to use this new keyword.

Using Google isn't really hard...

please don't patronise me

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

i know full well that it is called a mercury vapour lamp but, since i posted this on a science forum i expected that its users would know what i meant by hg and, as far as i am aware, the elemental symbols were created so that they would be universally understood and quicker than saying it in full.

i posted this question on this forum because it is very difficult to get relevant pages which have all the information that one is looking for and not just fragments that are not very detailed and i thought that it would be easier to understand and less time-consuming to simply ask someone who knows.

if you are not willing to co-operate and offer a friendly answer then fine but then why bother saying anything, especially if its unpleasant, and why bother even having an account here?

you should have put 'Hg' instead of hg. Hg is mercury, hg could be anything from a typo to an acronym of horatio's girdle.

just because some people will be able to correctly guess what you mean is no excuse to leave room for uncertainty. be clear what you mean.

you also didn't mention that you had tried other places and failed. this would also have been nice to know so we could have carried on from there. instead you gave us very little to work with so we went to the default of linking you to sites that are actually quite complete in the functioning of the mercury vapour lamp. so we answer your question and you claim we are patronizing you.

please don't patronise me

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

i know full well that it is called a mercury vapour lamp but, since i posted this on a science forum i expected that its users would know what i meant by hg and, as far as i am aware, the elemental symbols were created so that they would be universally understood and quicker than saying it in full.

i posted this question on this forum because it is very difficult to get relevant pages which have all the information that one is looking for and not just fragments that are not very detailed and i thought that it would be easier to understand and less time-consuming to simply ask someone who knows.

if you are not willing to co-operate and offer a friendly answer then fine but then why bother saying anything, especially if its unpleasant, and why bother even having an account here?

Well, I humbly apologize if you are really insulted. And I also question your reason for being here.

You ask a very general question to which I provide not 1, but 3 (three) links. Therefore I do more than you ask... yet you fail to: (1) say thank you, (2) comment any of the links or (3) post new questions now the initial question has been answered.

I question the fact that you even investigated this yourself, since your first and second post do not show any previous investigation (you should ask more detailed questions).

You only respond to the tone of my previous post... And that leads me to conclude that you come here just to make us do your homework. You're not interested in the topic at all, and you don't seem to intend to have any discussion.

With such an attitude, I also wonder why you're having an account here.