Damn 'puters

Xittenn

Old news but, I just can't live without.................

I have been programming computers since I was five. I started on a Commodore 64 and worked my way up from there. I was probably one of the first hundred thousand individuals to communicate through modem and chat on BBS and IRC(probably one of the first ten thousand pirates.) I played so many Sierra games that my sense of humor is permanently twisted. But alas I have never actually owned a computer; well one that actually worked anyway. I came close once when I was 14! I had a 386 SX 25 if I remember correctly. It had a hundred meg hard drive and 256k RAM. The hard drive had a broken pin on it so I had to stick a pin in the IDE cable. The controler card had a break in one of the connections. I scratched off the varnish and connected it with pieces of banana peel that I replaced every day or so. It ran DOS and I could get the intro screen from Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender to run. It was a very short lived momment and I've never counted that as actually owning a functional computer.....................

Well today is the day. It's been twenty five years in the making and I'm going to go buy one right now! I swear......... I'm crying.

I can't get anything done anymore without one. I'm sooooooo out of the social loop it's not even funny. I want to go to a club event or a rave, I have to look it up. I want to find a new job, "......please miss just send it in through email." I'm kind of localized to a special grouping for dating that in my neck almost completely mandates meeting online first. Need to order a special substrate...............online! :P

Well I guess I don't need to buy that graphing calculator anymore. Deviant Art here I come........... I'll finally have spell check when I'm on SFN; damn public library is another thread!~

I'm going now I swear! :D

I have a great pocket calc.........no graphing though or functions..... I think I'll probably program my own graphing/functions suite......... I'm not gonna sleep for the next year of my life! :P

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

I did it and I'm soooooooooo ashamed of myself. I feel dirty, kind of sick! It cost me as much as my last investment on books $1200 after tax. No software; damn paper weight! First thing to download tommorow when I'm internet ready C++ express............ I'll look through Ruby just because you suggested it Bascule. :P I like my monitor, 22" wide screen HD. The best monitor I've ever had the priviledge of viewing. I saw a couple of gaming beasts and was like almost getting gready. Vista, Quad Duo, 620 SATA, 6Gigs and Radeon with 512.............. not a bad deal. I had to pay a $24 environmental tax.......... I thought the carbon tax was limited to gasoline...guess not. It's probably twice of what I'd pay in the states...... ah well it'll keep me busy for at least a bit....... damn 'puters!

Don't feel dirty, it brings you entertainment!

In this life all you have is your happiness. Enjoy!

I started into computer young as well c64...there was one game I always wanted to play smooothly but never had a PC strong enough to play it at a decent FPS. Finally 3 months ago I upgrade my PC and those 10 years of waiting....I apparently lost interest in the game.

On the pius side I learnt how to PC together from scratch....

I am disconcerned that your first choice to do when you gather it was to get C+++ when you could you download *wink, wink* but too each his or her own I guess.

I took the plunge myself, and like you buttacup, I was programming BASIC at a very young age.

So, due to a recent redundancy package, I decided to buy an all singing, all dancing PC...this thing is sick, it has two 1 gig graphics cards, so I could run a PS3 Emu if I felt like it, a heavy quad core processor (equivalent of 14 Ghz) and a 22" TFT monitor.

It's indulgent, I know, and I feel slightly guilty for buying it...my programming ability is null, but I can't wait to run maple through it, and my current PC will be dedicated to running Cubase and an OS (and that's it).

The former is mainly for games, when I'm bored, but a math platform, with those graphics capabilities, will be very useful.

I have a great pocket calc.........no graphing though or functions..... I think I'll probably program my own graphing/functions suite......... I'm not gonna sleep for the next year of my life! :P

I've written graphing functions in C, and come to the conclusion that it's far far far easier to just use R (http://www.r-project.org/)

I am disconcerned that your first choice to do when you gather it was to get C+++ when you could you download *wink, wink* but too each his or her own I guess.

Well it's not all work; I want to start doing mods again and Source uses C++ and XSI! I might look into the Cry II Engine. Wow my first msg on my new 'puter, I'm giddy.... express is free silly.......

The former is mainly for games, when I'm bored, but a math platform, with those graphics capabilities, will be very useful.

Games math what's the difference right....... I saw this liquid cooled beast at a shop but I'm waiting, it's not time yet...... I have other 'toyz' on my list which where supposed to take precedence but.

I've written graphing functions in C, and come to the conclusion that it's far far far easier to just use R (http://www.r-project.org/)

Thx Klay I shall take a booo........ :P

This is like so weird I'm @ home, I might start laughing at stuff or singing to music and my landlord will wonder "...what is she up to..."