Excited about the Cassini Spacecraft?

matter

Well are ya? It's almost to Saturn and I'm looking forward to hearing interesting stuff. The newest pic of Saturn taken by the probe is nice. It's taken seven years but I think it will be worth it.

h_cassiniapproach_02,0.jpg

should be interesting.

one of my 1st question is where does methane come from on Titan. and pics or other visual data from it would be nice' date=' very nice.[/quote']

Yeah there are a bunch of hydrocarbons and other organic compounds floating around on titan in large quantities, interesting to get a closer view of that.

If we can land on Mars, we can land on Titan too. It will be a challenge, but even if it crashes we might get good data from up close anyways, and that will be of great value.

If we fail, it takes 7 years to get there, though. A long time before a replacement comes.

• 4 weeks later...
Quite. I'm hoping that we can get some good aerial shots of Titan's surface, albeit the atmosphere is quite thick by all accounts.

Piercing the smog enshrouding Titan, new images from Cassini reveal an exotic surface covered with a variety of materials.

Full article: http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/04jul_titanrevealed.htm?list1049228