induction heaters with metal compounds

the guy

what happens when you put a metal compound in an induction heater?:confused:

will it melt like it would if it was the metal?

will it decompose?

will it combust?

or will it do something else?

i'm just curious to know:D

ok, for example, would sodium chloride in an induction heater melt or do something else?

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

and, just out of curiosity, what does carbon do in an induction heater in, say, the form of graphite, because it conducts electricity.

yes but sodium is a metal so i was wondering what would happen with sodium chloride. And, since graphite is a conductor of electricity, i was wondering whether an induction heater would work on it in the same way as it would with a metal, or in a different way, or not at all.

just curious

Sodium chloride is table salt, and I don;t think it's very conductive as a solid. But if you dissolved it in water, then you could get current flow and heating since the bonds are ionic. Graphite should work, since as you point out it's conductive.

sodium chloride will do nothing in solid form, it is not conductive. while one of the elements comprising it is a metal, it is not in metalic form. even just looking at the compound shows that it has pretty much zero metallic properties.

graphite would heat up although it could depend on orientation as graphite conducts along the layers rather than across the layers.