Why even have a forum for Pseudoscience?

...and why so much leniency. Most these people just want a place to infest their crazy idea so that they don't feel out of touch...they don't care what anyone thinks, nor will they change their minds. They don't come here to do that.

I dont mind speculation but you might as well place a metaphysics and philosophy forum back in with half the crap that gets allowed. *sideshow bob's shutter*

Whatever happened to the good old days with the ruling with iron fist?

I dont mind speculation but you might as well place a metaphysics and philosophy forum back in with half the crap that gets allowed. *sideshow bob's shutter*

Whatever happened to the good old days with the ruling with iron fist?

The church demonstrated for us all that this approach was far too limiting to the advancement of human knowledge and civilation, and that it's generally a good idea to try to remain open to new ideas and alternative views whenever possible.

The church was (is) ran by mostly idiots....which isnt the case here my intelligent friend Inow...besides I am kidding.

I just dont understand, that when clearly someone refuses to accept reality conversation after is pointless. It's the same as me typing this every single post and nothing else:

"This is a pointless post"

I would get banned for that no?

What if I made 3 threads called

Idea 1

Idea 2

Idea 3

and have nothing in it.

Alot of those threads have zero value to anyone. It's as relevant as me trying to convince "you" that you don't exist.

I admit that just because something is false, doesnt mean it has no value...I am not making a general statement, I know it can be entertaining to be fictional...there is whole reading genre on it...but that accepted as false as a premise.

Edited by GutZ

IMHO, it's educational. Seldom for a crackpots themselves, but for those watching. They can see how and why we ask what we ask, asking for references, hypotheses, predictions, etc.

I tend to learn most from reading the responses. Somebody makes a dumbshit claim, and I learn why it's wrong (and further... what is correct) when the heavy hitters come in and respond to it. That's one reason, anyway.

EDIT: Mokele beat me to it.

I agree with this:

http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/announcement.php?f=59&a=13

The Speculations forum is provided for those people who like to postulate new ideas in the realm of science' date=' or perhaps just make things up for fun. Whatever the case is, this forum is not a home for just any science-related idea you have. It has a few rules:

1. Speculations must be backed up by evidence or some sort of proof. If your speculation is untestable, or you don't give us evidence (or a prediction that is testable), your thread will be moved to the Trash Can. If you expect any scientific input, you need to provide a case that science can measure.
  2. Be civil. As wrong as someone might be, there is no reason to insult them, and there's no reason to get angry if someone points out the flaws in your theory, either.
  3. Keep it in the Speculations forum. Don't try to use your pet theory to answer questions in the mainstream science forums, and don't hijack other threads to advertise your new theory.

Have fun.

As long as he discussion proceeds with some scientific rigor, there isn't any proposition that shouldn't be discussed. Dismantling the ideas with actual data and other aspects which comprise the scientific methods is preferable than simply locking and/or deleting, since one of the common crackpot claims is that science is dogma and simply censors competing ideas. As appealing as the idea of being a high priest might be, the reality is that nature does the censoring, and we just shepherd the discussion along scientific lines, hence the continual request for data supporting any contention, and the insistence on falsifiability.

As Mokele and iNow said, I think it's quite educational, and sometimes it's good practice. Responding to posts in Pseudoscience can help people learn to construct their posts in a logical manner and think analytically and critically about the arguments at a level that they'd be embarassed to display in the main subforums (or perhaps that's just me...?).

The church was (is) ran by mostly idiots....which isnt the case here my intelligent friend Inow...besides I am kidding.

You could make the argument that your idiocy is measured by how you learn from mistakes.

You could then build on that with the further proposal that if we do not learn from their mistakes, and modify our behaviour accordingly, then we are in the same class of idiot.

Fine I see where you guys are going with this...A battle I can't win! *waves flag*

All i am saying is this:

Speculations must be backed up by evidence or some sort of proof. If your speculation is untestable, or you don't give us evidence (or a prediction that is testable), your thread will be moved to the Trash Can. If you expect any scientific input, you need to provide a case that science can measure.

This is the best run forum I've ever been too. IT just sticks out to me, and I am pretty easy going guy. After 3 pages of bullshit, You guys are like " No...that obviously wrong" and the other guy is just going on about " Gravity being super dimensional portal to Univeral mind"

I see alot of you as being intelligent enough to see when you cross lines....No matter what people are imperfect yes, I am not saying don't have leinence where leinence is due. You mods make though iffy calls all the time, I don't see a reason to allow it to go on forever just because we you are afraid to seem not open minded.

It's more for the fact that relevant or interesting speculation get drowned out by the crap.

Actually it feint...I pretend defeat in my imaginary game that only I am playing. Even just bringing attention to something may help my cause little, I know deep down they feel the same!

>:D it's only a matter of time before they convert. I'll be like that voice in there head...or in their comment rep...convincing them slowly to do my bidding.

JUmZVjN6wzw

kinda like that; ;P

(m = moderator instead of majin)

the trash can will overflow once again!