Has anybody tried making a "firejewel" necklace?

aliasjanedoe

Basically, I'm wanting to make my own one of these:

http://www.firejewelusa.com/cube.htm

But I've no idea where to order the parts. I figure I need a small LED without a lens (since I'll be gluing it inside a bead), wire that can be used as the chain that doesn't kink, and something I can attach to the clasp to hold the battery which should be replaceable (not sure how to go about this part, suggestions welcome).

I'd suggest using the chain as the wire, any chain should do, the LED, have a look at RS, I dunno for certain... and battery well your best bet is probably a small watch battery where the clasp of the necklace is...

Mouser Electronics or Digikey will have everything you need. Electronic Goldmine deals in surplus and usually has a nice selection of LEDs at ridiculously low prices.

My guess is they use two 1.5 volt button cells and a single super bright or similar LED - no current limiting resistor is needed. The chain is the wire.

• 1 year later...

I was bought one of these as a present. The batteries are three of the tiny hearing-aid batteries in a cylinder with a screw-cap. It could be guitar string wire. The led is really tiny, it's just in line with the wire through the middle of the bead.