Chromatic chords ?

McCrunchy

Pondering on the question of j04hn on colour mixtures, I was wondering whether any of the harmonic relations that apply to sound actually also apply to light ?

For example, a fifth chord (for example A 27.50 Hz --> E 41.20 Hz) sounds pleasant to the ear. Is there anything like a fifth chord for colours ?

I looked at 450 nm and 675 nm (which have the same frequency ratio - 1.5 - corresponding to a fifth), deep blue and deep red, they look nice together

(see http://www.pl.euhou.net/docupload/files/Excersises/WorldAroundUs/Spectroscope/Spectra/VisibleLightSpectrum2.jpg), but do they look any nicer than other combinations, I havn't had the patience to investigate so far ...

McCrunchy

For example, a fifth chord (for example A 27.50 Hz --> E 41.20 Hz) sounds pleasant to the ear. Is there anything like a fifth chord for colours ?

I looked at 450 nm and 675 nm (which have the same frequency ratio - 1.5 - corresponding to a fifth)

McCrunchy

Just thought I point out that when you looked at the ratio in coloured light you were comparing wavelengths (450 nm and 675 nm) not frequencies like in sound.

Anyway, I also agree with swansont. But, it was an interesting idea.