Too big to fail?

ecoli

Is it big enough to succeed???

Honestly, I have no idea how any of these original forums have maintained any relevance. or for that matter why the owners keep on trying. Sometimes I think the five or so under Science I occasionally read are owned by the same person(s). Your site has some interesting individuals posting (generally moderators) and a couple are known posters on more than one site, but there are forums, especially in Politics/Community Affairs or a specific Science (Astronomy/Physics etc) that have hundreds posting daily and in many cases from real people in those fields.

... but there are forums, especially in Politics/Community Affairs or a specific Science (Astronomy/Physics etc) that have hundreds posting daily and in many cases from real people in those fields.

Is that better?

Section 1: Purpose Statement

ScienceForums.net is dedicated to providing a forum for the discussion of all things scientific with the highest degree of integrity and respectability. We aim to provide all individuals, regardless of their education level, a forum to express their ideas and love of science.

As per the above referenced Purpose Statement, "failure" in this case would be having no discussion forum at all. "Bigness" in this context is the complete antithesis of failure, since failure is expressly defined as "no available forum." Following from this, failure can only come from "smallness" in the most extreme sense. Hence, the size association made in the OP is completely counter to the forums own implicitly stated definitions of the success and failure descriptors, and thus rendered moot.

Edited by iNow

I can only give my personal opinion here, but I like the size of this forum.

At work, I am already focussed on 1 specific topic, so the fact that this forum is broad is a feature that's important to me. It keeps me sharp, and forces me to rehearse stuff I learned a long time ago.

We have experts in many fields, which is very interesting.

It's big enough that it's not quiet, and every time I login, there is something new.

In addition, the size of this forum enables me to follow and contribute to discussions that last more than 1 day.

On other forums, you can post 1 reply, and the next time you login, the discussion moved on another 100 replies (which you should all read, if you wish to reply once more).

In addition, the size of this forum enables me to follow and contribute to discussions that last more than 1 day.

On other forums, you can post 1 reply, and the next time you login, the discussion moved on another 100 replies (which you should all read, if you wish to reply once more).

I totally agree. It even happens here at times, and I'm like you, I hate to NOT read all the posts and then repeat a point someone has already made since the last time I posted.

Too big to fail? I think we're too different to fail. SFN isn't as repressive as some other sites, while maintaining rigor to keep it from being like some of the sloppy science sites out there. And of course, the civility you find here is quite different. We're just edgy enough to be interesting, but we don't allow the flame-fests that are so prevalent on the web.

Actually, we're too trig* to fail

* trig:

v. t. - To fill; to stuff; to cram.

a. - Full; also, trim; neat.

I can only give my personal opinion here, but I like the size of this forum.

At work, I am already focussed on 1 specific topic, so the fact that this forum is broad is a feature that's important to me. It keeps me sharp, and forces me to rehearse stuff I learned a long time ago.

We have experts in many fields, which is very interesting.

It's big enough that it's not quiet, and every time I login, there is something new.

Wow. I don't think I could agree more with what you've said. It's large enough that there is a consistent flow of new information, but small enough that I can keep up while staying focused on my primary objectives and work tasks. It is large enough that it stimulates my mind, and encourages critical thinking/distillation of arguments/rehearsal of past learning, but small enough that I can be away for a day or two and still get caught up pretty quickly with recent posts.

Seriously, it's pretty cool to see that others have the same exact experience. Thanks for articulating the point so artfully, CaptainPanic.

Is that better?

Each has advantages. As a business person (in my working career), I understand an alternative purpose to creating, operating and following through on such things. While the 'Stated intend' is admirable, one purpose was to generate an income, selling stuff, member donations or client advertising on the forum itself. As a poster, I pretty much agree with everyone and that smaller membership gives time to understand each poster and in my case create characters.

I do watch the 'new members' count (out of curiosity) wondering why on most forums of this nature, so few follow through posting or become regular, many times not even once.

As small forums go, if it makes you feel better, this one is not all that bad.

I have noted an interest by staff, to encourage the less articulate to continue conversations, where most simply discard their ideas, thoughts or opinions. On the other hand, staff IMO seems challenged by any of those that can challenge their personal opinions. You might be surprised how many posters have been banned, punished in some manner, that are as qualified as any others on this forum. Certainly not inferring myself, but having read hundreds of post by these members elsewhere, knowing in many cases their backgrounds, it seems an unbelievable obstacle to purpose or growth. A couple PM's, in many cases a google search by handle (user name) can reveal much of what I suggest, if performed in advance of judgement.

As small forums go, if it makes you feel better, this one is not all that bad.

You're a real smooth talker, eh?

On the other hand, staff IMO seems challenged by any of those that can challenge their personal opinions. You might be surprised how many posters have been banned, punished in some manner, that are as qualified as any others on this forum. Certainly not inferring myself, but having read hundreds of post by these members elsewhere, knowing in many cases their backgrounds, it seems an unbelievable obstacle to purpose or growth.

Be specific, and name just one example of where this has happened on SFN. Some people say that hearsay is useless in a discussion.

I am a new comer looking for a real science forum and I am focusing on chemistry and Polymer. As to me, I feel this forum quite different from other forums where is full of meaningless discussions. SFN is pure and much more scientific. However I think it may be better if it gets bigger when we can see more topics everyday.

The only thing that bothers me is that my threads in physic never get answered. I am trying fully grasp EM. I have a tendency for my mind to look at things from a chaotic perspective and I usually need a helping hand in organizing ideas. Sometimes that takes a rather long explaination that I understand not everyone is willing to do. I will also state that my question have probably been asked before, and it seems repeattive, I get that....

but the information that has been displayed here still hasnt fully given me the answers I specifically need.

That's my only gripe....besides phiforall ability to make puns better than me. wait till I get a pun dictionary.

yep, its too big to fail, the worst that will happen is we fade away as we lose members through other means, but this forum will never directly fail

So you're claiming that "fading out" isn't failing?