The Bermuda Triangle Phenomena

AlexTehManiac

Hi, I didn't know where else to post this because usually it would fall under natural phenomenom. If a moderator has any clue where to put it please feel free to move it to the correct section.

I was wondering why people mysteriously "vanish" into thin-air as it were when flying/sailing over the bermuda triangle (located near South Carolina I believe).. Some if not most scientists are saying it is methane pockets under the water but I'd like to know more and some of your ideas of what it is or if you could explain about what causes the methane pockets or why they're there/what they do, if you can do this I would be grateful.

Regards, Alex.

The same reason people vanish over other areas of ocean - storms, mechanical failures, pilot error, etc. The number of missing ships and planes is not statistically greater than any other random patch of ocean.

I believe studies were done on the methane pocket hypothesis. An aircraft would have to be flying very low over an area where a fresh methane discharge occurred in order for the concentration to affect an internal combustion engine.

Some if not most scientists are saying it is methane pockets under the water

As far as I know, some if not most scientists are saying something more along the lines of "Move along, move along. There's nothing to see here."

Deposits of gas hydrates are exposed by tectonic and thermal activity, and when the pockets happen to be underwater they are released as bubbles which rise to the surface. It's possible, though highly improbable, that a large pocket could swamp a ship on the surface, or disturb the air-to-gasoline mixture of an internal combustion engine if the plane were flying low enough for the methane to retain a high concentration.

Oceans are really vast amounts of open water. The probability of a methane bubble large enough to do damage occurring underneath a passing vessel or plane is small, but not non-existent.

I know of no examples of a methane pocket sinking a ship, let alone an aircraft. A quick Google search, however, gives a BBC story about exactly one possible (though apparently still unlikely) shipwreck that might plausibly have been caused by a methane pocket. It was in the North Sea (quite far from the Bermuda triangle!). Here's the story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1047249.stm

Thanks for the link. It was very interesting. I'd like a lock to this topic as I've already studied all there is to know about it now. :P Thanks.
Perhaps one day's worth of posts is not enough to gather sufficient information to make such a blanket statement. Perhaps others with more input will see this thread in days to come.

I'm just trying to point out that people are suggesting it's not a natural phenomenom it's just the same as everywhere else. I have studied the methane pockets now and it's all I need in my opinion. Leave the topic open if you want so other people can get information from it but if not then please lock it.:D

Yea while on this subject....Has anyone heard of the sort of 'Bermuda Triangle' on the opposite side of the earth? It's supposed to be off the coast of Japan...My friend was telling me about this, so I'm not entirely sure if it exists like he says it does. He says that experiments have been done such as throwing sound waves into this spot and it supposedly goes further towards the earths core than any other spot on the planet....

So yea...maybe someone knows something about this? It sounds like pure hogwash, but I'm not sure...

To my knowledge, there is only one "Triangle" that's actually associated with statistically significant increases in the disappearances and deaths of humans within it, namely the Red Triangle.

The mechanism, however, is well-understood. Mostly because this particular mechanism has a habit of taking nearly meter-wide bites out of anything its little fishy brain interprets as even remotely resembling a seal.

I wonder if that recent plane crash of the coast of brazil is somehow related to the bermuda triangle phenomanom? The plane could have traveld near it and then lightening hit the planes controles therefor blowing it off course and into the arms of oblivion >:D

Just a theory though....

I did however google the triangle just for kicks one day and i came up with squat! Government conspiracy theories is the conclusion i came to much like area51 but then again i could have been just having one of those typical teenager days where the government can do no right and are opperating behind our back, i should have never read that stupid conspiracy book :mad:

Oh well whats done is done...now back to this phenomanom!

srry to get off topic

cheers!

Yea while on this subject....Has anyone heard of the sort of 'Bermuda Triangle' on the opposite side of the earth? It's supposed to be off the coast of Japan...My friend was telling me about this, so I'm not entirely sure if it exists like he says it does. He says that experiments have been done such as throwing sound waves into this spot and it supposedly goes further towards the earth's core than any other spot on the planet....

So yea...maybe someone knows something about this? It sounds like pure hogwash, but I'm not sure...

To Syntho-sis I've just done quick google on the Red Triangle and it looks to me like it is just a Great White Shark mating/feeding location due to temperatures, etc. and that it causes lots of deaths because as someone else said in this topic the Great Whites take meter-wide bites out of anything moving.:eek: I can't confirm anything on the sound waves but I will get back to you on the subject.

Alex

I wonder if that recent plane crash of the coast of Brazil is somehow related to the Bermuda triangle phenomenon? The plane could have traveldnear it and then lightening hit the planes controlstthereforeblowing it off course and into the arms of oblivion >:D

Just a theory though....

I did however google the triangle just for kicks one day and I came up with squat! Government conspiracy theories is the conclusion I came to much like area51 but then again I could have been just having one of those typical teenager days where the government can do no right and are operating behind our back, I should have never read that stupid conspiracy book :mad:

Oh well what's done is done...now back to this phenomenon!

sorry to get off topic

cheers!

I have just come to the conclusion they may have vanished off the radar due to crashing into the ocean or flying low to it during an engine failure (or something of the same manner) like it says on the news about them falling off the radar map. The weather may have caused it, but I am not sure what may have caused an engine failure. Something could've got the system clogged or one of the pilots could've been on the dole. Either way it shouldn't have happened.

On the conspiracy theory stuff: You could have a look at the Obama Deception video on my favourites at youtube (youtube.com/MCSpidah) and it is about how they think he's from the New World Order and some of it is pretty convincing. >.<

I managed to locate Area 51 in the desert in Nevada, USA but I had no luck getting a full zoom because google caught me at it I think (Or not even they had permission to map it).. They could be experimenting and trying to create even more of these Red Triangles/Bermuda Triangles for government reasons so they can use a crazy machine they say they don't have (Pff, yeah, right. -.-) and they can just drop it on a country's capital and things die. Or they could be experimenting in private with Black Holes. I always considered them teleports but they haven't driven anything through them to see where it comes out. Why don't they put in a small bug and track it through the black hole. Maybe they'll discover a new universe or something.:cool:

Thanks for the interesting arguments on these subjects of matter. :)

Edited by AlexTehManiac

I believe there is indeed a reputed triangle in the Sea of Japan.

The most commonly quoted disappearance there was a large japanese scientific vessel (whose name eludes me ATM) over 30 years ago. The ship vanished without a distress call or wreckage being found.

Some say it disappeared "as if transported to another dimension".

Personally I think the simple fact that it was an oceanographic research vessel investigating the birth of a volcanic island might lead to a more mundane explanation.

Well, the whole idea behind the "bermuda triangle" and other similar "triangles" is that planes, ships, etc. seem to "disappear" more frequently there than in other locations. As such people believe that there must be a reason for this. However the conclusion that there must be something unusual about these locations is a logical fallacy...

A phrase I like to use is "correlation does not equal causation"

The rate of "unusual circumstances" does not happen in a steady basis for lots of reasons.

One reason is that "streaks" can happen. Consider the flipping of a coin, heads or tails. Lets say that you are doing this all day. At 10:00 you happen to have a streak of 10 heads in a row. Would you conclude, "Wow, there is something unusual about 10:00?" You would if you did not realize that streaks happen. Likewise, a streak of accidents in a particular place might be considered unusual by someone who isn't really thinking this through.

Another reason for these statements is peoples perception regarding these "unusual" events. In the tropics, especially during the summer, small thunderstorms can pop up very quickly. If a plane were to get caught in one of these and crashed, the news reporter might report clear skies at the airport where the plane took off...leading the reader to beleive the plane could not have crashed due to weather conditions. OR leave the reader to beleive something strange was happening as the weather was clear at the airport but stormy where the plane was (nevermind the plane is several hundred miles away). This would not be unusual, but would be believed to be unusual by the casual reader of the report.

Of course, people who perhaps are trying to make a buck see these events as a good story and embellish upon it. So as such, some people in the public now hear (and quite possibly beleive) the "conspiracy theories" on "unusual" events "associated with a triangular region" and so forth.

That's my explaination for all this anyway.

The rate of "unusual circumstances" does not happen in a steady basis for lots of reasons.

One reason is that "streaks" can happen. Consider the flipping of a coin, heads or tails. Lets say that you are doing this all day. At 10:00 you happen to have a streak of 10 heads in a row. Would you conclude, "Wow, there is something unusual about 10:00?" You would if you did not realize that streaks happen.

It does not address their point of missing/weird distress signals. Not that I believe the stories anyway ;)

It does not address their point of missing/weird distress signals. Not that I believe the stories anyway ;)

Well, in a catastrophic failure of the aircraft, the pilot might not have time/be able to send a distress signal (= missing). There was no distress signal by the pilot from the plane that recently went down off Brazil for example

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090604/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/brazil_plane;_ylt=Aii6oLZtR7ZWBrKXZC0zztcDW7oF

Some of the "weird" signals would include things like reports of a storm when there isn't a cloud in the sky...nevermind the plane is several hundred miles away :doh: Other "weird" signals would include the embellished reports (not all reporters, researchers, etc. have pure motives).

Still, I agree there are things which are unanswerable. But that does not mean the reasons for this must be supernatural.

Well, in a catastrophic failure of the aircraft, the pilot might not have time/be able to send a distress signal (= missing). There was no distress signal by the pilot from the plane that recently went down off Brazil for example

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090604/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/brazil_plane;_ylt=Aii6oLZtR7ZWBrKXZC0zztcDW7oF

Some of the "weird" signals would include things like reports of a storm when there isn't a cloud in the sky...nevermind the plane is several hundred miles away :doh: Other "weird" signals would include the embellished reports (not all reporters, researchers, etc. have pure motives).

Still, I agree there are things which are unanswerable. But that does not mean the reasons for this must be supernatural.

I know what you mean about the signals that come out from the signals, etc.

These reports are f**kheads giving bogus information to extend the length of their articles thus getting a higher pay. -.-

Perhaps it was a terrorist attack, who knows.

Electromagnetism and various other phenomena could probably explain the Bermuda Triangle.

Things like this, in my file cabinet of knowledge, often get grouped alongside Big Foot and Leprechauns.

Neat to think about for a spell, but not something that we should really devote a whole lot of resources to.. Leave that to the misguided conspiracy theorists.

Lots of boat traffic in the Bermuda Triangle area explains the Bermuda Triangle. There are *lots* of auto accidents on the Capital Beltway around Washington D.C. Do you need to invole some mysterious source to explain those accidents? Perhaps toxic gas leaking out of the Capitol? (There certainly is a lot of hot air there!) Of course not. The Beltway is a heavily traveled, highly congested roadway. The Bermuda Triangle is much the same.