Protein synthesis from the scratch.

I will like any protègè, 2 ellucidate on synthesis of protein by artificial means.Is it posible?

Edited by Jeju
For better expression of the idea

Technically it is possible to synthesize at least peptides by chemical means. For full-fledged proteins usually either biological systems (as e.g. yeast or bacteria) are often used or newer in-vitro translation systems, essentially a cell-free extract that contains all the necessary enzymes for translation in.

I will like any protègè, 2 ellucidate on synthesis of protein by artificial means.Is it posible?

There are machines that can now synthesize quite large proteins by adding one amino acid at a time to a growing chain. Older machines were limited to smaller peptides, but the newer ones can get more than 100 amino acid proteins.

Of course, if you dry heat amino acids they will polymerize and make proteins -- many of them exceeding 100,000 MW. This has been done in a number of labs.

I think 100 is pretty much pushing the limit for solid phase synthesis (I am currently not aware of a different technique that is able to get much more than that, please educate me, if I am wrong). This would get a rather smallish protein or long peptide (depending on perspective). However, technically it should be possible by chemical ligation to create larger proteins from peptides.

In any case, in vivo as well as in vitro protein biosynthesis based on protein translation generally gives higher yield.

Edited by CharonY

• 2 months later...
I think 100 is pretty much pushing the limit for solid phase synthesis ... This would get a rather smallish protein or long peptide (depending on perspective).

100 amino acids ~ 10,000 MW. Insulin and other proteins are shorter than that. Also, many of the chains of dimeric, trimeric, etc. proteins are that length.

In any case, in vivo as well as in vitro protein biosynthesis based on protein translation generally gives higher yield.

I think what you meant was "longer chains" instead of "higher yield". The average weight of proteins obtained by dry heating amino acids is ~ 60,000 MW, which is also about the average weight of proteins by DNA directed protein synthesis.