Dime a Dozen Disorders!

Basically, i was talking to a friend the other day and he was going on and on about how the kids of today are over medicated and its sick and wrong, Now i happpen to be diagnosed with three of the disorders on the list below and i am beguining to realize perhaps america is over diagnosed. Of course i knew this already after doing a project on Big pharma and the entire pharmesutical industry and after putting two and two together its just flat out sad man...

Anyways i did some research and found some of the top over diagnosed disorders in america today.In addition i asked around school a bit (very discreatly) and found that a big chunk of the 50 kids i go to school with are medicated for at least one of the disorders below( some medicated for two even!) but then again i take medication for two of my three... so i guess my conclusion so far is that these disorders are sort of a dime a dozen and are more human nature than actual disorders, however this little side study has not persuaded me to stop taking my meds, so once again i am a slave to my medicine cabinet...

Any who, check out the list below add anymore disorders i may have missed, commentary welcome!

1. ADD (attention deficit disorder)

2. ADHD (attention deficit Hyperactive disorder)

3. Bipolar

4. OCD (obsessive compolsive disorder)

5. anxiety, scocial anxiety ect...

6. depression

One thing to keep in mind that that these disorders may have *always* been prevalent, and it's only now that we either a) are getter better at detecting them, b) have effective treatment options, or c) both a & b.

One thing to keep in mind that that these disorders may have *always* been prevalent, and it's only now that we either a) are getter better at detecting them, b) have effective treatment options, or c) both a & b.

I really enjoy how simple you made that...

I am a huge fan of multiple choice answers especially wen the last choice is all of the above :D

Thank you sir!

Basically, i was talking to a friend the other day and he was going on and on about how the kids of today are over medicated and its sick and wrong, Now i happpen to be diagnosed with three of the disorders on the list below and i am beguining to realize perhaps america is over diagnosed. Of course i knew this already after doing a project on Big pharma and the entire pharmesutical industry and after putting two and two together its just flat out sad man...

Anyways i did some research and found some of the top over diagnosed disorders in america today.In addition i asked around school a bit (very discreatly) and found that a big chunk of the 50 kids i go to school with are medicated for at least one of the disorders below( some medicated for two even!) but then again i take medication for two of my three... so i guess my conclusion so far is that these disorders are sort of a dime a dozen and are more human nature than actual disorders, however this little side study has not persuaded me to stop taking my meds, so once again i am a slave to my medicine cabinet...

Any who, check out the list below add anymore disorders i may have missed, commentary welcome!

1. ADD (attention deficit disorder)

2. ADHD (attention deficit Hyperactive disorder)

3. Bipolar

4. OCD (obsessive compolsive disorder)

5. anxiety, scocial anxiety ect...

6. depression

I have a minor case of one that is commonly confused for ALL of those! :P

• 2 months later...

Allow yourself to cry when you can and are safe at home to do so. It always helps me. There is something called Primal Therapy that has been around since about 1970 you may wish to look into. Dr.Janov offers this therapy at the Primal Institute. ...ds

Dr.Syntax - You seem to have missed the point of the thread a bit. The question is about how some psychology disorders are over diagnosed, and how many don't seem to be based on anything real. It was not about the OP being sad or needing to cry or needing therapy.

have some basis in reality. Neurosis causes the brain to malfunction in so very many ways.Repressed,suppressed feelings exert very real electrochemical energy throughout the nervous system. As long as it remains repressed it takes effort, both conscious and subconscious to hold it inside. This includes tension in the musculature. The more pain,fear,misery,etc.,the person was been forced to endure,suppress: not allowed to express, the stronger the pressure inside for thier release. Most of us are forced to suppress such feelings from an early age. Don`t be a crybaby. Act your age,be a man. Don`t cry. Things like that. So, by the time most of us are 5,6,7, years old we have become adept at suppressing our feelings. Those feelings did not go away, we became consciously disconnected from them. It can get worse if you become counterphobic and say join some gang. There is Primal Therapy which deals with such issues in a way that truly allows a person to feel all this repressed feeling: electrochemical energy. A lot has been written about it since 1970. Arthur Janov created Primal Therapy. One of his websites is: http://primal-page.com/reflect.htm . If this subject interests you, this is a good place start. Ohers such as Paul Vereshack have much to say also. Sincerely, Dr.Syntax

It is astounding how much we do not know regarding these types of issues. To restate what I think is the original question: Is this a case of overdiagnosis today? or is it just some underdiagnosis in the past?

I would like to add it might also be possible that these mental conditions are indeed more prevalent today than they were in the past. Maybe something has changed in the environment to make mental illnesses (perhaps artificial hormones in the water?) more prevalent?

I would like to add it might also be possible that these mental conditions are indeed more prevalent today than they were in the past. Maybe something has changed in the environment to make mental illnesses (perhaps artificial hormones in the water?) more prevalent?

IMHO, you don't need to look any further than the tend away from nutritious food intake and toward sedentary lifestyles to explain the shifts in frequency of these issues. I obviously oversimplified, and left out true genetic predispositions, but am talking more of the increase across the board...

I am staying on the issue: DIME A DOZEN DISORDERS. I am sharing my thoughts on just that issue MOKELE. Explaning how so many different brain disorders come about and offering a real solution to these problems seems to me an on subject response. I thought getting different people`s thoughts and insights to proposed questions and ideas was one of the main purposes of this forum. ...Dr.Syntax