Environmental Education

foodchain

I think a major obstacle to spreading environmental awareness is with formal education. I think such education should be made mandatory at the K-12 level into higher education. I am wondering what formats work best though at imparting environmental awareness to people(students) in terms of life cycles and generations really. So what I would like to know is as follows.

Did you receive any environmental education formally?

What levels and was such education periodic?

What worked and did not work for you and why?

What types of educational formats were used, was it just lecture, or lab, or fields trips, or combinations of such?

Any replies will be appreciated and thank you for your time.

Ecology and the environment are written into the New York State learning standards at the intermediate (middle school) and high school levels. It's part of most, if not all, states' K-12 standards. Environmentalism gets a lot of air time in the schools I've taught in. Delivery of content involved all the formats you've listed, projects, labs, field trips, lecture, discussion.

I honestly don't see a lack of education or knowledge as the problem. The problem lies with individual motivation and sacrifice.

• 2 months later...

Start them young and help them understand how actions affect life!

For educational, scientific and charitable purposes, the mission of Touch Tanks for Kids is to challenge each of us to live to our fullest potential as good stewards of our natural resources while advancing a strong economy with informed environmental practices, policies, and solutions that motivate students to study science.