Is it all true

I'm sure everyone has heard all about these 2012 end of the world predictions, what i really want to know is, is any of it scientifically true??? take out any religious beliefs, i want to hear a real scientific answer with no bend or twist of any sort of propaganda. Are the planets really going to align? is planet X really going to come and disrupt our planet? Are all these "religious related crop circles" actually real?.... ETC!?!?

Is all of this being blown WAY out of proportion or do we all really have something to worry about, and if we do, what can be done if anything??? All of this has really been frightening me, i am no astronomer or any sort of scientist with a degree, credibility, or money, i am just a kid looking for an honest and truthful answer. I know we humans may be destroying our selves and our home planet with pollution, resource wasting, climate change, and a very possible nuclear war, but is there something coming soon that we cannot change???

Should i honestly spend the next less then three years of my life saying good lucks and goodbyes to the world around me? or should i unworryingly walk on and prepare for the mundane career and family life? I apologize if this may seem like a stupid question from some dumb kid but i want to be informed.

Should i just quit watching the History channel and youtube, or soak in what they have to say because it is all real and as terrifying as they say.

PLEASE RESPOND and THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO ANYONE WHO DOES

Did you consider to use Google to answer your questions?

A google search on "current positions planets" gives... well... information about the current positions of the planets. The very first hit is a good one. And on that website you can also fill in the date of 2012.

http://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/Solar/action?sys=-Sf

And planet X? Come on, what do you think yourself? There are plenty of amateur astronomers... such a big thing would not remain hidden from the media... There is no planet X.

As long as humans have been talking to each other, they have told each other that the end is near. Very few of them were actually right... But a few were.

At this moment, there is no real evidence that life as we know it will come to an end in 2012.

But something might happen. Ask the people who were hit by the tsunami in 2004... Or those hit by the earthquake in china in 2008. Disasters happen. And it's more than likely that something will happen in 2012... and it's highly unlikely that it will be a global catastrophe.

So basically: no. None of it is true. There have always been and there always will be people who think the end of the world is right around the corner. Recently a lot of it centers around 2012, because that's when the most recent era of the Mayan calendar ends, which has been co-opted by New Age nonsense, conspiracy theories, etc. The astronomical stuff has no basis in fact whatsoever. The History Channel people really ought to be ashamed of themselves. I mean, I understand they need ratings, and there isn't a wide audience for actual history, but come on.

The History Channel people really ought to be ashamed of themselves.
Yeah, that's just wrong, man. They lose all credibility as a source. They could approach it as a "historically, this is what some people believe", but they really don't.

Yeah, that's just wrong, man. They lose all credibility as a source. They could approach it as a "historically, this is what some people believe", but they really don't.

While I do see the History channel present a different point of view often, I see it being done with interest in a factual and not misleading way. I have never heard any outlandish claims as facts and their speculation is obvious to me when I watch it. I challenged people awhile back to point out a specific gross misrepresentation of the truth, considering a layman approach, and I am still waiting. :)

They (the narrator, or whatever) don't have to state something directly contrafactual. Instead, they just treat utterly ridiculous subjects with complete seriousness, with the implication that it's something to worry about. They have on "experts" on prophecies and UFOs and stuff and let them talk without further comment, and they're treated in exactly the same way they treat actual historians. I haven't watched the History Channel in a long time, but what I have seen was very annoying.

While I do see the History channel present a different point of view often, I see it being done with interest in a factual and not misleading way. I have never heard any outlandish claims as facts and their speculation is obvious to me when I watch it. I challenged people awhile back to point out a specific gross misrepresentation of the truth, considering a layman approach, and I am still waiting. :)
of the episode where they make some outlandish claims about the Mayan 2012 predictions. Why do they have all the disaster and catastrophe pictures flashing in the background, even during parts where they aren't talking about disasters and catastrophes?

Several times, their "experts" claim that the sun will be aligned with the galactic "center", rather than the galactic equator. At one point, the narrator, not the experts, claims the sun will actually move "into" the galactic center, implying that the sun will actually *be* the center of the Milky Way. Is this not a gross misrepresentation AND an outlandish claim?

of the episode where they make some outlandish claims about the Mayan 2012 predictions. ...implying that the sun will actually *be* the center of the Milky Way. Is this not a gross misrepresentation AND an outlandish claim?

I did catch the "center of the Milky Way" error but I took it as just an error in words and not a claim.

The whole story was presented as one interpretation of a legend that some may believe is a prophecy. There were no claims that any of it was true other then a few things concerning the accuracy of their calendar and knowledge of astronomy. Anyway, that is the way I took it and I didn't leave wondering if the world was coming to an end in 2012.

A little drama added to programs to help ratings. I find some of their stuff intertaining and other stuff pretty lame. But I do not see it as "gross misrepresentation AND outlandish claims". If that is what you got from that clip then our minds work very differently.

Enough said a bout the History channel. :P

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
... they just treat utterly ridiculous subjects with complete seriousness, with the implication that it's something to worry about. They have on "experts" on prophecies and UFOs and stuff and let them talk without further comment, and they're treated in exactly the same way they treat actual historians....

The History channel UFO programs are usually pretty bad. I have only seen one or two that were worth watching. Most get turned off in the first few minutes.

isnt it funny that the moments you described came in 4 yrs of one another.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

But something might happen. Ask the people who were hit by the tsunami in 2004... Or those hit by the earthquake in china in 2008. Disasters happen. And it's more than likely that something will happen in 2012... and it's highly unlikely that it will be a global catastrophe.

isnt it ironic that those natural catastrophies came 4 yrs from each other.