Windows VS Mac

albertlee

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'll probably reformat some time soon. That "You've got trojans!" popup every half hour is another good reason for it.

Your Windows "Messenger Service" is being used as a spam portal.

Go here and get an app that turns that service off.

http://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

As for the difference between Windows and Mac OS, they are both the "illegitimate children" of the old XEROX PARC system.

Read the book "Fire In The Valley" by Paul Freiberger and Michael Swaine for all the dirt.

Mac OSX Panther owns all... unless you enjoy unix to a fault, in which case you should go for linux.

example; a friend of mine can keep his powermac g3 (OSX Jaguar; panther is quite a bit better) on for weeks at a time without any difference in performance. it works well even with moderate to heavy usage. i can't keep my pc on for more than 8 hours without being forced to restart. after 3 hours of relatively heavy usage, the comp's performance decreases at a slightly exponential rate.

to add to that, with OSX, programs never crash.

also, macs are better for media work such as video editing, sound editing and photo editing.

but macintosh computers are more expensive though... ;)

That's often overstating it, once you look carefully. Yes, a bare-bones PC is cheaper, but if you are going to get comparable hardware, the price isn't all that different. Several people have boasted to me how cheap their PC was, and then went on to tell me about the good sound card, video card and CD burner they added, without having taken the cost into account. And those are things that were already on the 'expensive' mac. The last PC I bought at work was a few hundred $$ more expensive than the Mac I have at home, because I actually included those extras ahead of time (and it wasn't my money).

I don't know many other operating systems that can stay up for >1 year without suffering some kind of memory leak somewhere and dying like XP does to me on a fairly regular basis.

That has NEVER happened to me. NEVER. The only problems I have are the programs, but that's not XP's fault.

What type of computer do you have?

Windows 2003 is a server' date=' not a workstation if I remember correctly.

Mac OS is better than windows for a lot of reasons, but it very much depends on what you want to use your computer for.

If you just want a regular home pc, stick with XP. If you want to use your computer as a graphical design workstation then it might be an idea to look at Mac OS as an alternative.[/quote']

Is XP better than Mac for everyday use? i have never used a mac although i have seen screen shots of Mac OS X, DO they handle the same tasks alright?

i hear macs better for design of which i do some of (usually in Byrce 5.0) are they really that much better?

Is XP better than Mac for everyday use? i have never used a mac although i have seen screen shots of Mac OS X' date=' DO they handle the same tasks alright?

i hear macs better for design of which i do some of (usually in Byrce 5.0) are they really that much better?[/quote']

yes, and especially when compared to graphics and media, macs are superb.

one of my hobbies is drawing, well at this time learning to draw, but anyway, i know a few professional artists who've made the transition to macs and they absolutely loved it. even though things like photoshop is available for both macs and pc's, they all are now religious mac users when it comes to art.

as far as every day use, pc's would be better. and something like mac or a spark, reserved for special use.

If you just want a regular home pc, stick with XP. If you want to use your computer as a graphical design workstation then it might be an idea to look at Mac OS as an alternative.

mac or if one can be afforded, an sgi will do much, much better ;) but oh well, i can still dream, eh? hehe

Is XP better than Mac for everyday use? i have never used a mac although i have seen screen shots of Mac OS X, DO they handle the same tasks alright?

Mac OSX is better than XP, but probably not so much that the average Windows user is going to want to shell out for a new computer and learn a whole new operating system, as well as saying goodbye to half the software they are already accustomed to using.

i hear macs better for design of which i do some of (usually in Byrce 5.0) are they really that much better?

Yes. I think it's a combination of the tools available and more intuitive workflows.

Mac OSX is better than XP, but probably not so much that the average Windows user is going to want to shell out for a new computer and[/i'] learn a whole new operating system, as well as saying goodbye to half the software they are already accustomed to using.

True; but a lot of home users don't usually have all that much software installed on them (or it's just software they've downloaded from the net). Apple is pinching quite a few people from this market recently because of nice products like the iMac with the tilting screen, and the iPod is certainly drawing a few people over as well.

1) BSD kernel is stable because it's undergone so much testing and it's a very stable codebase.

2) You can't install XP on a Mac natively, you have to run it under emulation which is quite slow.

There are C/C++ compilers for Mac. Mac OS X uses a derivative of Objective-C called Cocoa, which is a very nice language.

It has other advantages as well, listed above in the thread.