One of the best experiments I've seen in a while!

pensepro

Haven't you ever transmutated a feline with a 9V battery? Come on!

Out of curiosity, was the bit about cleaning the penny with Taco Bell Fire sauce an accurate comment, or was that, too, a comedic aid?

Haven't you ever transmutated a feline with a 9V battery? Come on!

Out of curiosity, was the bit about cleaning the penny with Taco Bell Fire sauce an accurate comment, or was that, too, a comedic aid?

The taco bell fire sauce is a true way to clean a penny. just pour the sauce on it, let it sit for a minute, then wipe it off.

The taco bell fire sauce is a true way to clean a penny. just pour the sauce on it, let it sit for a minute, then wipe it off.

Actually, that makes a lot of sense, just like cleaning your pennies with tomato sauce (or lemon juice, vinegar, etc). It's the acid in it that acts on the corroded particles and separates them from the metal itself, as far as I could recall. Someone with better chem skills could probably explain it much better.

Last time I checked only the UK had the penny as a unit of currency. The US has cents which they coloquially call pennies but it doesn't say that on them.

I think we used to have Taco Bell, but they disapeared. At some stage we could have done the experiment, but not any more. There's probably a facebook group devoted to getting them back.

Incidentally copper is a noble metal- it only reacts with oxidising acids. Copper oxide will react with any reasonably strong acid to form a salt. That's why you can clean the copper oxide of coins etc. with dilute acid.

Last time I checked only the UK had the penny as a unit of currency. The US has cents which they coloquially call pennies but it doesn't say that on them.

I think we used to have Taco Bell, but they disapeared. At some stage we could have done the experiment, but not any more. There's probably a facebook group devoted to getting them back.

Incidentally copper is a noble metal- it only reacts with oxidising acids. Copper oxide will react with any reasonably strong acid to form a salt. That's why you can clean the copper oxide of coins etc. with dilute acid.

You don't have Taco Bells?! Where do you live?

That's the thing - we don't even have pennies over here...

Now, you could say it might work with a euro cent coin (or even the 5 cent coin)... and you might be right.

But we also don't have Taco Bell.

Well in that case why don't you just use vinegar or lemon juice? Still seperates the particles...:)