Would my computer still be functional after i format it?

E-LAWG

You can only format a disk, not the computer.

I'm not working in IT, but imho, a computer is the processor which does all the calculations. You cannot format that... just not possible.

A harddisk (or USB drive, or even an old floppy) can be formatted. This will wipe all information off that disk, and will install a fresh new filesystem (note: a filesystem is absolutely not the same as an operating system).

If your operating system (Windows, Ubuntu or something like that) is on that disk, it's gone afterwards... and you will not be able to boot your computer anymore. All your files, movies, music etc, that was on that disk will be lost forever.

The only solution after that is to install an operating system (Windows, Ubuntu etc). If all goes well then you'll be able to boot again afterwards (but you still lost all other data).

My advice therefore: if you're not sure what the hell I was talking about: don't format your computer. Formatting is one of those "advanced" options that are only for "experienced users".

dont worry buddy, get a bootable dvd, and boot from it. automatically it will ask u "to format and install new Window". then ur harddrive l b formatted and also, window l be installed.ur computer will work perfectly again. :) buy a Bootable DVD.

even after formatting, u can retrieve all the data! from data recovery software,if u dont find it, il give u. :)

alright thanx guys, and im not an idiot, i know you cant format a computer, i figuered that it would be understood that i was talking about the hard disk on the computer, but any way thanx for the advice

Heey what's that about, I thought I replied yesterday!

huh

anyway, before buying a bootable DVD or CD, it would be wise to make sure the computer wasn't prefab or built OEM - if so, a lot of times they have a recovery partition, or a whole unseen partition altogether that holds a factory image of your computer. So if you're trying to get rid of a virus, that would be best.

and before formatting your boot drive, ALWAYS have the CD and the license key in your hand, and lick it, maybe dance with it for a minute, to make sure you have both. Otherwise you might become sober and realize you can no longer use this computer for a while. =D

• 4 weeks later...

You probably cannot format the hard drive that contains your Operating System(windows, Linux, Mac OS) from the same drive. Meaning you either are trying to install a new hard drive to get more storage which will not affect your computer's normal operation. Or you are trying to install a new Operating system on your current hard drive which means you will loose all your files if you have only one partition, or just the OS on drive C: if you have more than one partition. Whatever you do try and backup everything on your old drive to a dvd or online storage just in case. If you are not sure what formatting is, you are better off staying away from it as far as you can.