Electrolysis Cell

Tian_07

Hey... Anyone have the voltage I would need to create an electrolysis cell, mainly to make NaClO3 from NaCl... does anyone have the proper volage I could use for the cell with Carbon Electrodes?

Or better yet.. does anyone have a good way to hook up AC power to the cell?

thanx

ummm.... When Sodium chloride (brine) solution is electrolysed, it produces chlorine (Cl2) gas at the anode, and hydrogen (H2) at the cathode. The stuff that is left in the elctrolyte is sodium Hydroxide (NaOH)

So, I don't really know where did you get NaClO3 from :)

it will indeed make NaClO3 and later NaClO4 if left long enough :)

start with 12 volts, an ordinary car battery charger (it won`t work with AC it must be DC) leave that for a good 48 hours per 100ml.

then drop to 4 and a half volts for a further 48 to 72 hours (you can use the 6 volt bike batter selection, but you`ll need to top up the water alot).

try your best after the chlorate production to keep the temp down as well, you`ll get a better yeild! :)

and ClO4 kicks a$$ outa ClO3 :)

and don`t forget to use Carbon electrodes! you`ll mess it up otherwise unless you have platinum :)

in the solution (electrolyte) and it takes a few days to complete, but it never goes 100% NaClO3, there`s always traces of NaCl and NaOCl, but after a few days the large majority is converted, it helps to heat it afterwards, thereby increasing the NaClO3 yeild as a consequence of NaOCl breakdown. there are a few side reactions, but they`re not important :)