Seek for helps

QuarkQuarkQuark2001

Some chemicals, like NaOCl (Bleach) emit smell after breaking down for a while, and giving off the chlorine... others like NaOH may break down.. but im not sure....

As for the CO2, im not sure... i think it has something to do with the heat and the fact that theyre more energized than O2... but im not sure...

cheerz

1. Well, some chemicals evaporate, and diffuse across the room into your nose. Most of them do, but, its just a matter of time. The thing is how fast they are evaporating. Just think of it like perfume. A bottle is opened, and you can smell it minutes later :)

2. I don't really get you on that one :(

Some chemicals' date=' like NaOCl (Bleach) emit smell after breaking down for a while, and giving off the chlorine... others like NaOH may break down.. but im not sure....

[/quote']

ummm.... i think quark meant, what emits the smell? Take a look at my post :) We posted at the same time! i think...

I have two questions' date=' could anyone give hand?

1.Why does some chemical emit smell, like sodium hydroxide?

[/quote']

if you can get ANY smell from Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) then it`s contaminated with something!

it smells no nore than house salt or fresh water, in other words odourless :)

smell is just a property of chemicals. one can smell a compound without actually inhaling molecules of the compound. generally' date=' compounds that have smells are volatile.

CO2 rises, but there comes a point where it stops.[/quote']

How exactly could you smell something without a molecule of it being inhaled?

And CO2, being heavier than O2 and N2, will sink. N2 is itself asphyxiant because it's an oxygen displacement hazard. You get an MSDS with a nitrogen tank even though chemically it's not volatile. CO2 carries the same hazard.

1.Why does some chemical emit smell' date=' like sodium hydroxide?

[/quote']

If I had to guess it would be for evolutionary reasons. Either you want to avoid it or something wants to attract you or drive you away. Odorless isn't an inherent quality, it's a quality that depends on our sense of smell, which has developed over time.

no; H2O is odorless. pour a glass and sniff. every solid and liquid has a certain amount of itself in the gas phase floating over it.

That was what i meant :( H2O is odorless and it is the only thing that is evaporating!

would you please cite a source on the scent thing? I can't help but be skeptical. either that, or i'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

I second that. This is supposed to be science. "I dunno, but it's true" doesn't cut it.