Need clarification!

ChemSiddiqui

Ok need help with a couple of questions;

I am doing past papers and there is this question which I have attempted on my own but am not sure if I did right.

A sample of hydrogen gas is held in a pressurised reaction vessel at 350 K and 2 bar claculate ;

(i). the mean speed c(bar) (ii). the collision frequency z

It also has given the sigma(H2) =0.27 nm^2

(i) I used the mean speed formula (8RT/pi*M)^1/2 to get 1924.83 m/s. The only thing I am not sure about is if I can use this formula(the confusing thing for me is the pressure of 2 bar, not standard pressure).

I can calculate z, once i know that i calculated the mean speed right. Can anyone tell me if i did?

Second question was to explain why catalyst doesn't alter the position of equillibrium for a chemical reaction.

What I think is that catalyst doesnt change the thermodyanmic constant, so that the free energy isnt affected. The relation b/w free energy and thermodynamic constant is ;

delta G =-RTlnK

again i am slightly confused because the pressure doesnt affect the thermodynamic constant also.

Any help please.

not sure about the first question but the second answer is easy if you simplify your answer to qualitative:

a catalyst increases the rate of both the forward and reverse reactions

I could give the qualitative answer but its physical chemistry and I have to expalin it quantiatively, not that the question says so but becuase physical chemistry is about that after all isn't?

Actually with a bit of reading from a text book I didnt read before, I now know that even though pressure doesnt affect the K, but equillibrium composition does change.

thanks for the answer anyway!