PyroChemistry

Tian_07

Yes, i know some aswell but that dosent mean i dont want to know more, anarchist cookbook and other such things give info (most wrong) but its still interesting to know ...

especially since chem is my major :)

how was i being irresponsible? to be honest, to the date, i have yet to synthesize anything explosive. calm down buddy

If you bothered to read the link I posted, that was cut out of your quote:-

http://www.iwar.org.uk/news-archive/2004/03-30-4.htm

You'll notice that a group of people have been arrested and charged, with the only evidence of bomb making being an amount of ammonium nitrate.

This is a little at odds with what you said:-

do you think anybody cares? if you want to make something just keep quiet about it and make it in your basement. oh' date=' and don't blow people up. [/quote']

Now, here's the important bit. What you do is your own buisness, but it's irresponsible to encourage others to perform illegal acts. Especially if you infer an impunity that simply doesn't exist.

The evidence shows that even buying potentially dangerous substances can get you arrested.

Is that simple enough for you to understand?

interesting how that works, considering the massive number of chemicals we can obtain. are we arrested for buying bleach and vinegar? hey, if one tries at all, they can produce ClO2 from those. think of all the alkaline metals we have access to through electrolysis. they come from common compounds. think of all the chlorates we have access to. we have access to nitrates, also. depending on who your government is, you will be traced. i am positive that if you go buy a 25lb sack of KNO3, you will not be arrested. i am positive that if you use some of that sack of KNO3 for syntheses of small amounts highly nitrated compounds, such as NG and PETN, nobody will know and nobody will care. if you go running around telling people how you have an explosives laboratory in your basement, you will be reported to the police.

every chemist here knows that they have the choice to use their potential resources in multiple ways. my opinion is irrelevant.

I buy bags of AN 25 kg at a time, I use it for it`s intended purpose, if I wanted to make a huge crater or decide there`s a massive huge boulber on my 13`th floor balcony (being sarcastic) then I may consider using AN, other than that it has a critical diameter of 10 cms^3 and so anything less than the need for a real HEAVING CHARGE would be a waste, when 9 times outa 10 you can wrap a chain around it and hitch it to the back of your car :)

as for Primarys, they have no place in "Pyro"! if you`re caught making then you can get busted! not only that, but you`de never need them in Pyro, and isn`t that what this thread is all about???

so lets get back on topic and make this a GOOD Pyro thread, lets talk Stars and mortars and bursting charges, Rockets, gerbs, candles etc.... :)

keep it real!

are you talking about ammonium nitrate, http://www.iwar.org.uk/news-archive/2004/03-30-4.htm that was one of the stories i was on about, its intended pourpose is fertiliser right, plants need nitrates for protein? isnt KNO3 potassium nitrate the oxidising agent? i never knew ammonium nitrate was explosive until that police raid. another thing is the racism factor, they only raid people of asian culture most of the time.

AN is for green foliage/growth.

Potassium Nitrate is for flowering and fruiting plants, the K elements provides the much needed nutrients for flowers and friut, the N element is for greenery, and P (phoshourus) is for Root Growth.

the trace elements do lots of different jobs though, and rarely feature in Pyro :)

(subtle ON TOPIC hint) :)

from my falling asleep biology notes .... ;)

nitrogen - protein

phospherus - flowers

potassium - roots

magnesium - chlorofil

i dont pay a awful lot of attention when we study plants and rocks, no offence as i do like doing some experimnts in that area.

back on subject, is matches hard to make, patassium chlorate + red phospherus ? i also remember last year in "science club" we made sparkelers with potassium nitrate (i think) and rockets. the sparkelers worked but the rockets sort of exploded, im sure the teachers either faked their BSc or have got alot of insurance ;).

yes and no, NO3 is mainly for mechanical sorts (NO3)3 is usualy molecular as are DiNitrates (NO3)2 :)

[edit] I will add also that any of these depending on what they`re combined with can easily make the DDT stage!

Those folks had half a ton of ammonium nitrate, so unless they wanted neon green foliage, it's pretty difficult to explain away. And nitrates are good for proteins, as proteins are made of amino acids, and every amino acid has an amine group (which contains N).

Back on topic, how do you make rockets that work?

(Rather than 'sort of exploding')

well we sort of made a paste out of something (was already done but i predict potassium nitrate and a binding agent) and then soaked filter paper in it and sort of shoved all the paper into a smarties packet. then a magneium fuse was put up it. thats all i remember and it exploded. but some people class pyrotechnics as an art. but you have to consider colours and making 'stars' for it and the way you pack the rocket.

would the 'thermite' reaction be classed as pyro, id like to see it done but it looks dangerous.

i also remember doing something like we soaked filter paper in a clear liquid the she already made let it dry in the fume cupboard and when you lit it with a match it just dissapeared. ive done lots of weird experiments in science club but we dont get to write it down really. ill try and remember more or just ask the teacher.

Legal to learn about ? Yep. Legal to carry out, .... probably not in most places, but then again it's been said that no one should carry the discussed methods out unless it is legal for them to do so or they have the right to do it and have a safe environment to do it in

Are you at university ? If not and your talking about college (I assume you are since you want to go and study biochem) then I was once in your position. I took physics, computer sciences, chemistry and biology at A level, and chose to do a degree in genetics, and then a PhD, I just wish I had taken chemistry - because once you get over the initial stuff in college it gets real interesting at higher levels, so does genetics - but at uni you find out if you REALLY like the subject if your following me, I'm too far in to drop it now obviously but chemistry would of been fun :).

This actually is my first year of university (doing biology). I can only take biochemistry after I've done biology for two years. Not sure what exactly but I was thinking about genetics (just sounds really interesting to do research on DNA and such, so tell me if it is) or organic chemistry (neurotransmitters, how chemicals influence our body). I like chemistry a lot, the only part that doesn't attract me that much is al the industrial processes we discuss during class, I like every other part of it so biochemistry seemed attractive to me..

Woah...

I Can see this thread had grown since i left.... Been on a short vaca, so havent had much 2 post... but im ordering my chemicals and stuff right now, and they're coming... im going ot do some fireworks stuff... generally single shot aerials and starmines... im not VERY experienced, but i do have a decent background in this stuff...

can anyone tell me whether black powder is sufficient to detonate PVC when compacted and pressed inside of it, then fused? (just wondering)

cheerz (and let the thread g-r-o-w)

Keep posting ;)

Is there such a thing as a safe explosive? Like one that wont explode when you drop it, or something? I live in rural Nova Scotia, so I have plenty of land to use explosives on, and actually some practical applications for getting rid of tree stumps or dislodging rocks. Plus explosives are neat. But there is no way I am going to risk blowing my hand off for some fun. So, any explosive that is (almost) completely safe to make, assuming you dont do anything really stupid?