PyroChemistry

Tian_07

Just wondering if there are any other pyrochemz out there....

if there are... lets start a thread... on pyrochem only...

btw just wonderin what is the easiest flash to make,... like with the easiest ingredients to obtain...

post lots

chill out and have fun ;):cool:

ay, i like pyrochem. as for easy experiments, probably the easiest thing to do is go buy a 25lb sack of KNO3, add glucose and melt into a caramel consistency (don't overheat) then light a match. it gets quite hot and yields a large smoke cloud. but hey, that's way too easy and really boring. there's other syntheses i know of; what are you looking for?

Also, where do you guys in the UK get your compounds from - most of the books my friend has in her dorm contain stuff I've never seen on the shelfs of garden centre's etc but it says they are easily obtainable (US ?)....do you extract them from other mix's ?

Is it legal here? Apparently you have to be registered to make any kind of explosive stuff.

do you think anybody cares? if you want to make something just keep quiet about it and make it in your basement. oh, and don't blow people up.

Interesting one, I will ask a friend studying chem if she's got any to add :)

oh, i know of quite a bunch of syntheses; trinitrophenol, nitrocellulose, nitroglycerin (2 methods actually), nitric acid and silver acetylide among others. feel free to ask:)

oh, and i know of a good way of obtaining and purifying KNO3 from old manure...

do you think anybody cares? if you want to make something just keep quiet about it and make it in your basement. oh, and don't blow people up.

I think the last part is probably the best ;)

(my only advice to people in the UK is to just check you can do this without doing it, otherwise if something goes wrong, you'll be footing a rather large bill)

Ah, that's a good point - most probably why half the stuff isn't obtainable. Still, should be ok her dad's got a chemical lisence. The fruit sounds interesting, I wish I had taken chemistry to university and not biology. So are there any relatively simple methods to blowing up objects like fruit, I've tried the old smoke bombs when I was back at school - they're not bad for a laugh at that age.

there are as many ways as there are fruit! :)

explosions fall into 2 main catagories, mechanical and molecular, the molecular synths I`ll not share here as they`re not strictly "Pyro" and are far too dangerous, as well as ilegal!!!

simple mechanical on the other hand (like those in Fireworks) are fair game though :)

how do you want to ignite it anyway?

I wish I had taken chemistry to university and not biology.

What's wrong with biology? I'm doing biology and my chemistry class still showed me that my local hardware shop is a little piece of paradise on earth ;). But then ofcourse I'm really interested in chemistry and want to go on and study biochemistry..

do you think anybody cares? if you want to make something just keep quiet about it and make it in your basement. oh' date=' and don't blow people up.

oh, i know of quite a bunch of syntheses; trinitrophenol, nitrocellulose, nitroglycerin (2 methods actually), nitric acid and silver acetylide among others. feel free to ask:)

oh, and i know of a good way of obtaining and purifying KNO3 from old manure...[/quote']

Your a foolish fool of a fool.

http://www.iwar.org.uk/news-archive/2004/03-30-4.htm

Grow some responsibility.

there are as many ways as there are fruit! :)

explosions fall into 2 main catagories' date=' mechanical and molecular, the molecular synths I`ll not share here as they`re not strictly "Pyro" and are far too dangerous, as well as ilegal!!!

simple mechanical on the other hand (like those in Fireworks) are fair game though :)

how do you want to ignite it anyway?[/quote']

Hmm. we really don't have any ideas beyond getting some fruit and blowing it up. I suppose i would prefer a system of ignition a little beyond light and run.

Hmm. we really don't have any ideas beyond getting some fruit and blowing it up. I suppose i would prefer a system of ignition a little beyond light and run.

Build yourself a firing box. They're fun :)

(I'll post schematics for mine after I've built it)

yeah, electrical`s much easier and safer, also you don`t have that annoying little hole where the fuse sticks in and releases precious gasses!

the most simple and readily available way and it`s already made for you, would be powdered safety match heads, a few 100 of those and ther`de be very little left of an average water melon :)

take a strand of wire from a multi strand flex and make between 10 and 15 tight turns around a pin or needle, making a mini spring.

the tape 2 solid core wires side by side and attatch each end of your "spring" to the wires, making sure there`s no short and they don`t touch except through the spring.

pass a sufficient current through it (a car battery) the spring will glow and burn out in a mili second (that`s your ignitor)

tape and ignitor to the middle of a sheet of paper, pour your powdered match heads over it and carefully fold the paper over into a tight little packet, then cover with lots of tape, don`t wory if your 2 solid core wires get bent while folding it up, that`s how it should be, less room for gas to escape before it pops.

put that packet in the middle of the fruit, attatch your run wires to it (20 meters min) and then hook it up to your battery, watch the fun from there :)

I think the last part is probably the best ;)

(my only advice to people in the UK is to just check you can do this without doing it' date=' otherwise if something goes wrong, you'll be footing a rather large bill)[/quote']

or get raided by the police - it has been done.

the cops are hardly gunna waste their time with a few people that make thier own fireworks or bangers though, not with all these terrorist idiots walking about with REALLY DANGEROUS stuff!

and the one or two folk that know how to make this "dangerous" stuff aren`t likely to give that info away. A) it`s hardly usefull to anyone that just wants to do pyro B) the vast majority of us are responsible adults and have little to no use for these things in everyday life anyway, in fact there`s only been twice I`ve ever had to use an explosive of the non mechanical sort, one was to remove a peice of steel where it was impossible to get a cutting tool in, and the other was Tree Stumping :)

all the special effect work I do is based on mechanical explosions as well, they`re seriously NOT to be underestimated! :)

I wish I had taken chemistry to university and not biology.

What's wrong with biology? I'm doing biology and my chemistry class still showed me that my local hardware shop is a little piece of paradise on earth ;). But then ofcourse I'm really interested in chemistry and want to go on and study biochemistry..

Are you at university ? If not and your talking about college (I assume you are since you want to go and study biochem) then I was once in your position. I took physics, computer sciences, chemistry and biology at A level, and chose to do a degree in genetics, and then a PhD, I just wish I had taken chemistry - because once you get over the initial stuff in college it gets real interesting at higher levels, so does genetics - but at uni you find out if you REALLY like the subject if your following me, I'm too far in to drop it now obviously but chemistry would of been fun :) Biochemistry is a good course by the way - what field within that were you looking at ?? I have a friend who's just started a degree at newcastle university in biochem they're really enjoying it.

both yt and i have stated that despite the fact that we know these syntheses, we don't like to share them, and we rarely use them ourselves (i never have).

speaking for myself, i'd like to say that although it may be cool to say "wohoo, i just made some silver acetylide!" it's absolutely crazy and dangerous*124098^13580123580. a friend of mine made his own lab experiment (last of the year of AP chem). he decided to make silver acetylide. he also burned through an evaporating dish in the process. you don't want to mess with primary explosives.